Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Creepy

Creepy

Time for a little anecdote.

Yesterday when I was driving to work and stopped at a traffic light (at which I had to turn) and waited for some people to cross the road. One of these people, an old man, came up to my car. And me being the suspicious person that I am, started to close the window slowly but not fully (because to be fair he could've just wanted to ask something normal and not be some creep about to get into my car and kidnap me).

Now, who wants to guess what the old man said?

He told me that I should move more forward so I don't hit anything when I turn. I mumbled a thanks and wondered if he used to be some driving instructor or something. Even though I still have the P plates, did he not realise that I had a licence and knew how to make a right turn? A turn that I've been making for more than a year now! Then I thought, what if there was something on the road that I didn't see?

As I turned, surprise surprise, I didn't hit anything.

I was a bit confused by what the point was of the man telling me to move forward. Maybe he was some creep. It's good that I had all the other doors locked.

That incident reminded me of another creepy old man incident that happened when I was in high school. I was waiting at my train station for the train to school when some weak looking old man with an unmbrella (an important object in this story) came up to me and said "Thinking of a boy, eh?" and I laughed thinking it was some old person joke and said, "No" and he poked me with his umbrella and said, "You looked like you were somewhere else" and that point I didn't look as friendly. Even old people have no right to poke me. And I said something like, "I just have a test today" and then he poked me again which made me realise that this old man wasn't just some innocent old person. He was a creep. So I pushed his umbrella back at him, hoping I wouldn't hurt him too much because I didn't want to kill anyone, even if he was some creep. I think I took him by surprise and he left.

Now that I think about these 'creep' stories, I'm realising there've been quite a few in my life. One of the worst ones was my second driving instructor that I got when my first one went on a holiday. He would always ask me personal questions that were none of his business and when I'd make a mistake, he'd always say, "If it wasn't for me, you could've crashed. What would you do without me?" and he would just go on and on about it for the whole hour how good it was that he was with me. That really used to annoy me because I was paying him to be patient and not snap at me like that.

And when I had enough of him and got another instructor, he'd call me up and ask why I was getting another one and what was wrong with him. And he'd call months after I got the new one (who was wonderful). And after I got my licence, I got a call from the agency (that he worked for), asking why I dropped him. I had a strong urge to tell them exactly why but for some reason I didn't and said that I was busy and couldn't talk (something I said to the creep when he kept calling me).

Anyway, I'm glad that's over. Hopefully there won't be any creeps for a while.

No comments: