Monday, December 26, 2005

Best Christmas

Full post here

Had the best weekend. Most likely due to the fact that David was with me. And also that it was so busy I didn't have time to worry about anything.

On Christmas Eve, David's family got together for dinner. Don't know what's gotten into David but he was showering me with love. Kept saying that I was the best thing to ever happen to him and that I was absolutely perfect and he really loved me.

I got to meet his step-sister and her family. She had two absolutely beautiful little girls who wouldn't leave me alone. The oldest girl (6 years old) talked to me about her favourite colours for an hour. She liked all the colours I was wearing. Then she kept wanting to sit on my lap or hug me. The two year old divided her attention between slapping David's arm (which made her laugh uncontrollably, especially if David winced) and taking me on walks around the apartment.

David's Mum told me I should be a teacher because kids are drawn to me. Even though I used to want to be one, I really can't imagine having to stand in front of a classroom of thirty kids and teach every day. I think I'd just like to have my own.

Here's a little conversation I had with the lovely six-year old:

girl: how come you don't live here?
me: because David lives here
girl: where do you live?
me: at my house
girl: why do you live there?
me: because that's where I live
girl: why does David live here?
me: because that's where he lives
girl: but why?
me: why do you live at your house?
girl: because that's where I live!

Funny how the kid didn't understand the concept of boyfriend and girlfriend. She thought we were family. And honestly I really felt like we were. While David and I were playing on the couch with the two girls, his sister took a photo of us and said, "You look like a family!" and later David told me that she asked him if we were getting married. Just a tad early for that stuff.

I got a present from David's parents (Learn to Speak Spanish CD) and even a little one from his step-sister (a candle). David got me an accoustic version of Maroon 5 and a huge cuddly teddy bear (something I've always wanted because I never had one of those new soft and cuddly types of toys). Now it'll be used as David's double when he's not there. I got David a dart board 'cause me mentioned he really wanted one (and I think it'll be good for when he gets angry). Kinda weird that we both got each other toys and we're way past being kids.

The two little girls got clothes so I felt kinda bad for them. Kids don't care about socks and tops, they want toys. But their Mum liked them.

Stayed over at his house for the first time. I slept on his bed and he slept on the floor. I tried to insist that I'd be fine driving home at 1:30am and then I even genuinely offered to sleep in the sleeping bag on the floor. But as expected I got the bed. I slept so well I woke up at 6:30am. Woke up so refreshed. We had breakfast with his family. I tried not to feel like an intrusion and David told me like hundred times that I wasn't in the way.

After breakfast we went into the city and then to a beach area (the location of when we first decided to go out). Unlike that life-changing day almost seven months ago, yesterday it was bright, hot and full of people. Going to a place that has so much significance to my life, I couldn't help but reflect on what an amazing turn my life made that day - from a lonely girl who had no hope of meeting anyone to a content person who feels loved.

Afterwards went to my house for dinner with my grandparents. My grandpa made an effort to talk with him, even though his English is minimal. They tried talking about soccer and actually laughed a bit together. I thought that was really cool. My grandparents trying to communicate with my boyfriend.

Dinner was leftovers from the party my parents had the night before. There was still so much food that I could barely eat (especially considering how much I ate the night before). My Dad finally talked to David quite a bit.

Before dessert we opened presents. For the first time opening the presents wasn't the most exciting part of Christmas. It was enjoying being with my family and having a glimpse into my possible future family (something David told me he felt the night before). Opening the presents was just an extra.

After dessert, David and I went for a walk down the street to get some fresh air and much needed exercise. It still amazed me that I was walking down the street I walked thousands of time wishing I had a boyfriend and there I was, walking with David. Sometimes I think, "So it's you I've been waiting for".

(When I showed him a video of when I was a kid a couple of days ago, he said, "When you were making shows with Nadine and your brother for your parents, I was learning about alcohol and cigarettes. Who would've thought ten years later we'd meet?" Gosh, imagine a guy from the south of the planet meeting a girl from the north, in Australia and falling in love. Sounds a bit like fiction, yet it happens so often.)

Today we went to the beach to actually swim. I haven't done that for two years. Was never really into that but today just wanted to go. Since David loves the beach, he was up for it.

I looked so white compared to David and needed a tan. Every time I point out how white I am and how dark he is in comparison, he says, "We can make Milo". Even though I sometimes go on about being too white, I kinda like our contrast. Don't know why.

No matter how much sunscreen I put on or how often I reapplied it, I still got sunburnt. David said I looked like a prawn or lobster. He let me pick which one I prefered. Personally, I didn't think I was that bad. To make me feel better he said he liked prawns and lobsters.

After the beach, we had dinner at my house. My Mum always manages to give him some traditional POBian food to try. I've had enough food in the last few days to last me a week.

Just as I was writing this post, he called me. I said to him, "You should be asleep now, you have to wake up at 3am tomorrow!" and he said he couldn't go to sleep without talking to me. Well, go ahead and make my heart melt, once again. Whoever said emotional co-dependency in couples was a bad thing was either a liar or never in love.

No comments: