Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Work Issue

The Work Issue

I've had the worst day today. I don't even remember the last time someone made me feel so awful.

Renee took me for another 'chat' to give me some 'feedback' on how I've been going since our first 'chat'. She said I was doing everything she told me and that I was taking her too literally. She wanted me to take more initiative and take the workload off her. Last time I took more initiative I got told I was doing more than was needed. Now it's not enough. It's freaking impossible to find a balance she'd be happy with.

What really pushed me over the edge was when she told me that when she was washing (newly bought) glasses I didn't offer to help. That got me so mad because only last week she gave me a huge bag full of dirty dishes (with old pieces of cake and salad and meat chunks) and asked me to wash the whole thing. She didn't offer any of her help. And today she told me that she purposely put another dirty dish on the benchtop to see if I would wash it too. I don't even remember seeing it. Then she told me how she read the emails I sent to the sales girls and how I didn't give them enough information. I felt like I was in the Big Brother house. Everything I did was being watched. Every mistake was enlarged.

She said that I was basically not doing half of my job and she asked whether I felt this position was for me. That freaked me out because if they fire me, I will never find another job. I have to last at least a year at my first full-time one.

My Dad thinks that I should start looking for another one while I'm still working because it will be too hard if I look after I get fired. But this is going to be impossible because I have no time to go to interviews.

And I really like the actual job and every other person at the workplace. What if the next job will be worse?

Why can't things just be simple?

No comments: