Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Flower Power

I was seriously stunned today. Just so shocked. I couldn't believe it.

At around 12pm, I got a phone call from some man telling me I have a delivery and where should he drop it off. That was a little strange since I don't get deliveries specifically addressed to me, unless it's from one of our other offices in which case I know ahead to expect it. This time, I wasn't waiting for anything.

I came outside to meet the guy and pick up the delivery. He handed me a seriously HUGE box (almost my height, and I'm not that short) with a flower company label.

I saw a card addressed to me (with my name spelt wrong). I wondered who could've possibly sent me flowers? David wouldn't spell my name wrong and he wouldn't go to the trouble of sending me flowers at work.

I opened the card and read that it was from the hairdresser teacher for whom I was doing some work. (The one who offered me a free hairstyle for my efforts.)

I took the huge box with a huge ribbon back to my office and I just couldn't stop smiling. When Eve saw it, she urged me to open to have a look. I opened it and there was a huge bouquet of flowers with chocolates and a CD!!! (Later, I discovered the chocolates and the CD were complimentary.) I have no idea how much that would cost, but I expect a lot. Eve said, "I've worked here for four years and I never got flowers! And twice in a week!"

When I saw the teacher, I thanked her a lot and told her how unexpected that was. She said, "No, this is nothing. What you did was unexpected! You've exceeded all my expectations. I wanted to thank you" and then she gave me a kiss. I'm still not sure exactly what I've done that deserved so much gratitude.

But oh, how nice that felt! It's so much easier to work in an environment where people really like you. And I would know. It's weird how some people take to you and others just don't. (It still hurts remembering being fired because Renee didn't like me.)

Then Eve said that our Director was 'fighting' for me to stay. I wonder if that means there are difficulties in getting it to happen. She said I should find out either tomorrow or Monday. And if I do stay, it's not going to be as a full-time employee, my contract would just be extended for another 6 months.

That makes it difficult. Do I want to stay here another 6 months with the risk of not having a job at the end of it? Or do I go to my permanent part-time job which I can't stand but have the stability and security of having work? What would you do?

When I got home and Andy got a look at the box, he seriously froze in mid-motion. He said, "I'm jealous!" I wasn't surprised. Anyone would be envious of getting a box that size. (Nevermind the flowers.)

I hope the flowers hold up until Saturday so I could show David the presents I get at work.

I'm definitely feeling special today.

No comments: