Sunday, May 07, 2006

Just for the Soul

Last night David and I went to see a POBian dance troupe. It wasn't adverstised very well so the man whom I did work experience ended up helping to get people to come. (Before he started his business, he used to organise POBian artists to come to Australia.) Hence, we got cheap tickets.

Amazingly, David heard of this before I even did. Since he's into dancing, he was very interested in going. I was up for it too.

And let me say, it was GREAT! Like my Mum says, "Arts and culture is good for the soul". My soul was definitely satisfied.

What made this an extra interesting experience was that 99% of people were POBian. It felt like the whole POBian community was there. And I'm very unused to that since I don't really participate in this community. Everyone was talking POBian. And as usual, they were all very dressed up. I forgot how POBians like to dress up for these sorts of things. I was wearing too much denim.

The dance troupe was amazing. They come from a very small POBian town. The costumes were so detailed and beautiful. They even danced some dances from other countries. And there was an absolutely fantastic band. I'm not really a fan of the violin but the way the guy played it put me in a trance. He played some very popular songs. The singer was also wonderful. The whole band were some middle-aged men in black suits, black coats and black hats. They looked a little creepy but their image added to the effect.

David enjoyed the whole thing. I love that he appreciates Arts. Probably more than I do. He was commenting on the technical difficulties of some dance steps and explaining to me how they were doing seemingly impossible moves.

In the break I said hello to the couple for whom I did the website. Knowing them made me feel like a part of the community.

When we got back and were looking through the program (that David found outside), the woman and her daughter next to him tried to get a look at it. So he gave it to them. Then they started speaking to him in POBian. That was funny since just a minute before he was saying how he obviously didn't look POBian. I was surprised too. I answered them in POBian.

Don't know why but sharing the same birth country brings people closer together and people you never met before don't seem like strangers.

Afterwards, when we left the theatre, someone called my name in POBian. I turned around and it was a woman from my Mum's work with her daughter. I've never met her before but my Mum told her which seats we'd be in. So they must've figured out it was me. We talked a bit. Her daughter was very pretty and sweet looking. Maybe she could be good for my brother. He seriously needs to meet a suitable girl. He knows too many wrong ones. But that's another story.
After we said good-bye, David said that it looked like they ran after us. That's kinda funny.

We hung around in the city till about 11:30pm. We ate at McDonalds. We were looking out the window while we were eating. David was quiet so I asked him what he was thinking. He said, "Nothing". Then a minute later he said, "You know what I was thinking?" so I asked him, "What?" and he said, "I was looking out the window and seeing all these groups of guys hanging out, going to pick up chicks and I thought if I'd regret not doing that".

I said, "You wanna go pick up chicks?" and he said, "That's the thing, I don't. This is so much better." Then he touched my cheek and kept smiling at me with that smile (that I can't describe but makes me feel really loved). Then he kissed me. Right there in McDonalds. I said, "Kissing in McDonalds... interesting" and he said, "It's a must thing to do". I told him if he ever wanted, he could pick me up. I wouldn't reject him. So then he was going to literally (physically) pick me up!

We walked around some really beautiful places that I've never seen before. I've lived in this city for over 10 years and I'm still discovering new places where the views are just overwhelming. I've been to many cities and I've never seen a more beautiful one.

We saw an Indian wedding. In a really posh restaurant. David said seeing weddings was good luck. I wonder if we are going to have double the luck because we saw another one that night.

As we were walking back to the car, he asked me where I'd want to go for my honeymoon. I told him somewhere cosy with great views, not a beach area. Maybe New Zealand? I asked him and he said he didn't give it any thought but he'd like to go somewhere where he can see water and sunsets. Sounds great to me!

I wonder if he was asking me that in a curious way that April would ask me or he was asking with the future in mind. If he's asking me these things, does that mean he wants to go with me?

We also talked about how he wants his kids to go to experience living in another country for a year. He said he'd want them to go to either POB or South America to learn one of our languages. I told him I don't want them going to either of those counties because they are not safe. I also told him not to put all his wishes for his life onto his kids.

Then he said what car is good for a family and how you'd need room for the baby seat. I was shocked. Even I never thought about that! And I think of everything!

Is this all just talk or is he seriously thinking about our future together?! I mean, we did already calculate how much money we need to live together but he's so stubborn about not moving out until he finishes uni that there doesn't seem to be any point organising finances now.

If I get to stay at my temp job with a good salary, I will try to convince him to move out sooner. I don't mind supporting both of us on my salary for a year, while he's still at uni.

Now that I'm certain I want to be with him, I just want to start that sooner. I want to be with him every day. Ever since I've been working, I started to become ready to move out. I'm 22 now and an adult. I just feel ready now.

Just really need to stabilise the job situation.

If I end up with the bad job, I guess I will have to wait longer, after all. Won't be able to afford to support both of us on that salary.

Anyway, I get excited even just thinking about us living together. Doing the every day things together.

Today, Talia's Mum called. Since my Mum wasn't home, I spoke to her for a bit. After I told her about my jobs, she asked, "So how are things in other areas" so I said, "Fine..." And she asked, "Do you have a boyfriend now?"

If I was single, I would be seriously upset at her. But since I do, it wasn't a big deal. She asked me a bit about him and told me about Talia and her friend and her boyfriend. She said we haven't all gotten together for a very long time and we should so we could catch up. I guess, that would be nice...

Talia and I get along but we never make an effort to meet. I wouldn't mind meeting her boyfriend. He doesn't sound as smart as her but that's too difficult. She'd bordering on genius. She's studying to be a doctor. It'd be too hard to find someone on that intellectual level.

It makes me happy I'm not that smart because then I'd really never meet anyone I'd want to go out with. Since I'd hate to go out with a guy dumber than me.

Speaking of intelligence, David's English has seriously improved. I read his uni report and it was professional. He used words even I didn't know! It makes me proud. I also taught him how to speak clearer so his accent doesn't get in the way of people understanding him. So now he talks very clearly with a sexy Spanish accent. I told him it's not about having an accent, it's about not having a lazy tongue.

I think David and I are on the same intellect level. Some things I know more, other things he does. It works out perfectly. I don't get bored with him, like I did with lots of other people.

No comments: