Thursday, May 11, 2006

Saying Thank You

Today was one of those rare days when something really unexpected happens.

One of the teachers at my work gave me a bouquet of flowers for doing some work for her. I really didn't see that coming. She thanked me for being patient and professional with her. (Well, those are two words I can use to describe myself in future job interviews!)

Everyone in my section was more surprised than me because apparently this lady was "very challenging". I gathered that from how picky and annoying she was about what she wanted. I just realised that being nice to her would be the easiest way to deal with her requests. And amazingly, she noticed!

People next to me said it was amazing that I got through to her like that.

I was just doing my job. Yes, I did more than necessary but I was just sick of her pestering and decided to do something great so she'd leave me alone.

This sort of incident really makes you look at people in a different way.

Every time after she'd leave, everyone would start bitching about her. Fortunately I didn't participate in that, otherwise I'd feel really guilty now.

Another teacher I'm doing some work for offered to do my hair for free (since she's a hairdresser) because she said I was "so wonderful". I declined just because I don't like doing anything with my hair, other than cutting it (which I've done recently). I think she took it the wrong way, in that I didn't trust her abilities.

It made me feel so great being noticed like that. Although I had a momentary worry that other people in my section might not like me standing out like that. I tried to be humble and not look all smug.

It's amazing how much some appreciation can affect my mood, my day and my outlook. It makes me want to do something nice for someone else.

No comments: