Tuesday, May 30, 2006

For the Love of Books

Must remind myself: At least I have a job. And in my field.

Why can't that importance sink into my brain?

Today I decided that I desperately need some sort of physical activity. The majority of that used to be the walking to and from the train station which gave an hour worth of exercise every day. Now, the driving has replaced that.

At the temp job, I made myself go for a half an hour walk at lunch time but now that's very hard as there's is seriously nowhere to walk. There's even no pavement. It's a warehouse area.

So anyway, after I got home, I decided to go for a walk. Since I had no motivatin to go for a walk whatsoever, I gave myself a final destination worth reaching. The library, of course. It takes 40 minutes to walk there. I put on my earphones (to entertain myself) and went on my way, looking forward to the reward that awaited me - the book haven.

On the way there, it was so dark in one area, I couldn't see where I was walking and all of a sudden I felt dizzy. I wondered what would've happened if I fainted. Would any of the cars driving by notice? Would I open my eyes to find myself in hospital with David holding my hand? Would I be assaulted and have bruises all over my face and David would look at me with sadness, grateful that I was alive?

Took a drink of water from my handy water bottle and felt better. There was no way I was fainting. God, just the embarrassent and weakness of that all. Would've haunted me forever. (Ok, maybe not. I would've blocked it out.)

The library was pretty empty but I felt so content there. It was so nice to be surrounded by stories and different worlds that I stayed there for an hour (a relatively short time for me). I didn't stay longer as I didn't want to walk in the isolated areas too late.

Was happy to find some interesting books. The walk home seemed to go by pretty quickly. Spent all evening reading about South American women in the United States.

Finished playing phone tag with Veronica because I finally managed to reach her. We had a short chat since she was on her way to a friend's house to celebrate some national (or was it international?) initiave she organised. We agreed to catch up more on the weekend. She said she found my number in her phone and decided to call. Weird, if I were her, I would've seen the number there all the time and would've kept thinking whether I should call her for months. But that's just me. I doubt she was brooding over it for a year.

Going for that walk actually gave me more energy. Last night I went to sleep at 10pm. Got woken up by David at 11:45pm when he got home from work. Not that I minded. He sounded really appreciative of me sending him an email to cheer him up during his stress. He apologised for not replying. I said he didn't have to. He said he wanted to.

I don't do nice things for him expecting something in return. I do them because I want to make him feel good. If they serve that purpose, I'm happy. Not that getting an email from him wouldn't be well received...

Anyway, as long as he appreciates it, that's all that matters.

No comments: