Friday, March 07, 2003

My Latest Adventures

The last few days have been interesting and beneficial to breaking my boring routine. There's so much to say and I'm not sure how to link everything together so I'll just tell you bits and pieces of what happened as coherently as possible.

Welcome to the gay party
I never met a person that I was 100% sure was gay. That was before I came to uni, or more precisely before yesterday. I volunteered to help out with food at some morning meeting. I had no idea what it was for until I looked around and realised that everyone looked stereotypically gay. Honestly, I felt a bit uncomfortable being surrounded by extremely feminine looking guys and very butch girls. However, there was one very beautiful girl who was very feminine and I wouldn't have ever guessed that she was gay.

What annoyed me the most about the event was how different speakers (including a scary looking drag queen) were so against the heterosexual people. You'd think that they'd be more tolerant towards people after all the discrimination that they experience. Talk about total hypocrisy.

It was an interesting experience though -- being a part of such an event. I try to make as many experiences for myself as possible because that's what makes life interesting.

Adventures with Amelia
Later that day I met up with Amelia. She's my third best friend. (I don't know why but I unconsciously rank my friends, which is stupid really.) She is a very interesting person which makes me always have fun with her. I left ODV about an hour early and we went to eat because for some reason she was craving beef. See what I mean by her being interesting? After that we went to another uni, 'cause we had nothing else to do and we both like exploring places where we haven't been and probably aren't supposed to be.

First we wanted to find a lecture and join it, pretending to be a part of that uni but we couldn't find one. Amelia suggested that we should follow someone who seemed to be going to a lecture. That was really funny because after we decided to follow some guy, Amelia says really loudly, "Let's follow him!" when we were only a couple of metres behind him and then she says jokingly, "Maybe we can take his wallet" right while the guy was taking out his wallet from his bag. The guy started walking faster because he obviously heard Amelia and Amelia started walking faster as well so she was only a metre behind him. Subtlely obviously has so meaning to her. I didn't move so she came back. I had to explain to her (as if I'm such an expert on spying) that if you want to follow someone, you can't walk so close to them. She probably thought that I follow people around all the time. But it's just common sense.

We then tried to follow other people but that didn't work because we kept changing our targets. Well, we had to. It's not like we could just walk into a small tutorial or follow a guy into the toilets.

We ended up going into the Women's Room. Why isn't there a Men's Room? I'm all for women's rights to achieve equality but there's nothing equal about providing space and special tea (which we had at our uni) only for women. This is some sort of militant feminism. In the Women's Room, there was lots of feminist literature and all of it had the word 'women' spelt as 'womyn'. What the hell?!!! What next? Are they going to change all the words that contain men? This isn't even political correctness. This is stupid egoitistical rubbish.

Amelia felt as annoyed about it as I was so we decided to leave, but the door wouldn't open. I started panicking a bit because it was very embarrassing to be stuck in another university where you're not even supposed to be in a Women's Room!!! Thankfully, we didn't have to call for help because Amelia managed to open the door.

While we were at that uni, Amelia saw her ex-boyfriend. I didn't even know she had a boyfriend. I looked up her online diary (which she doesn't know that I know about) and it said it's her "sorta-ex-guy-[she]-used-to-like" so maybe it wasn't serious. Even Amelia had a boyfriend, but I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. She hangs out in the games arcades a lot so of course all the guys there love that a girl shares their hobby. She even told me that some guy kept asking her out every week of the holidays. This isn't the first time. She always gets weird guys obsessing over her.

Emma also had a stalker last year but he stopped once she told him off. What is it with guys who follow girls (who obviously are not interested) around? Don't they get the hint? Thankfully, I never had that problem. And I probably never will since I repel all guys. That's my unique talent.

Speaking of guys. During the last few days, I had a few conversations with some guys. I sort of made friends with one funny guy (who I'm pretty sure is gay since he's so much like a girl friend). I like being around him. I also talked to two guys from my team. One is really easy to talk to and Drew (the quiet one) makes me think that he likes me because he always agrees with me and thinks that everything that I say is a good idea. He's just being friendly but it still feels nice when he smiles at me.

A misunderstanding or a secret?
Something interesting happened related to the three guys in my team. I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure they were organising a drugs party. They were being really secretive about it and only referring to the drugs as "hash cookies". It's hard to imagine those guys who seemed very intelligent by their conversations (I didn't even understand half of their vocabulary and they spoke some words in different languages) would take illegal drugs. It just doesn't make sense. I probably misunderstood the whole thing.

A silent understanding
As I realised the whole ODV thing is just a meeting opportunity. Some people were talking about if anyone got together because supposedly in the previous years there were lots of couples. So I'm not the only one that went there to meet people.

One guy (the sleazy one that kept hitting on Lara and a few others at camp) is obviously desperate because he came up behind me while I was serving food to a line of at least a thousand people and started tickling me. I can't stand when people invade my personal space, especially if it's sleazy guys like him. What worries me is that he's studying to be a Physical Education teacher. Schools really don't need people like him being around kids. He reminded me of a Science teacher that I used to have that told really sick stories to us and was just a creep in general.

Conclusion
It was definitely worth doing ODV because like I said before, every new experience adds colour to your life and I want to have a colourful life.

No comments: