Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Incoherent Ramble About Nice People

fWhen I was 14, my aunt Naomi came from POB to visit us (and Australia). This was when she was a little older than I am now and before she was married and had kids. When she would get all the heads turning as she walked because she looked absolutely stunning (unlike now, after getting married and having kids and growing up).

When she stayed with us, she'd act like an older sister to me. She'd give me advice about what kind of guy to marry in the future (funnily enough, she didn't take that very same advice when she married her husband) and I would generally look up to her.

One day as she was ironing and I was hanging around at the door telling her about some annoying girl from school who I didn't like, she said "You don't like anyone". I was really offended that she thought I was that type of person.

I know, even now, that I don't like every person I meet. But when I meet someone I like, I really genuinely and truly like them. I might not like every single thing about a person but that won't stop me from generally liking who they are.

And some people are so easy to like. I love people who are genuinely warm inside. I saw my uni friends earlier this week (after a while of not seeing them) and I started to really miss talking and hanging out with them every week.

Anyway, I don't think I've reached the point I wanted to make very well. That was: that if I feel like someone is sincerely nice inside, they can say anything to me and I would not get offended. Now it sounds like I'm talking about Naomi, but I'm not.

I'm being vague now 'cause I can't say what I want.

Max said ages ago that I "change it to people". If we ignore his articulation skills (and mine right now), he meant that I'm a different person with different people. If I like someone, I become friendly and easy-going but if I don't, I get defensive and tense and stand-offish. I act so differently, you'd think I was two different people. I guess nice people bring out the best in me and the others bring out the worst.

It's easy for everyone to tell if I like them or not.

No comments: