Monday, April 04, 2005

An Office Affair Or An Overactive Imagination? The Wonderful People Who Come and Go

Ever since my first day at my new job, I noticed how my manager talks with this other woman. It's overly friendly and kinda teasing, on the border of flirting. And he'd always call her over to show her jokes he got and ask when she's having lunch. And she'd call him 'darling'. I was pretty sure that it wasn't the most professional relationship. Today, after another one of their teasing exchanges, I really got the feeling that there was 'something' going on. Not exactly sure what but they were definitely closer than just workmates.

So I was pretty shocked when my manager said to me, "I really need sleep. I stayed up till 3am last night doing work. Got in trouble with my boyfriend."

I was trying not to smile. Who would've thought my boss was gay. I always thought he was just a child-like adult who was really laid back and understanding. I liked how he always laughed the way kids laugh (the giggly can't hold it back kind of laugh) not the held back adult men one. And who had a lisp that made him sound like a schoolboy. I already came up with what his childhood was like: he was teased about it which was why he was so nice now.

I hope he stays like that all the time 'cause it sure makes the impossible deadlines at work easier to bear.

The Wonderful People Who Come and Go

Today in the morning, I got talking with one girl who works with me. And she's one of the nicest people I have met. She invited me to have lunch with her which I quickly accepted because having it at my desk was really getting to me.

She showed me the only cafe in the vacinity (since there's nowhere really go at lunch in that area) and we talked non-stop. It's not often you meet people who you just can't stop talking with; the conversation overlapping with no time for breaks 'cause there's so much to say.

I found out she also finished my uni last year, but she spend more time there. She also moved to Australia at around the same time as me. She lived in a country very close to POB (no wonder I thought her slight accent was so familiar). She had a weakness for bread and could eat it without anything, just like me. She also went to an all girls school.

She was telling me how she applied for a job she really wanted and was very nervously awaiting a reply. I knew how that felt.

Then in the afternoon, she came up to me with a huge smile on her face, saying she got that job and was starting tomorrow. My heart sank. Just when I found someone at work I could be friends with, she was leaving. It felt weird having someone be excited about leaving and getting a job somewhere else when I actually wanted to stay here for a while longer.

And there I was getting excited about having someone to talk with at work from now on. And they moved the 23 year old guy to another room, so now I'm stuck with my manager, some women and some old men.

I can hope that her replacement would be someone I like, but I highly doubt that he/she would be as cool as her.

No comments: