Monday, April 10, 2006

The Excitement of Old and the New

Last night I had such a wonderful conversation with my brother. Just like the old times. It gave me hope that we can be friends again.

We really caught up with our lives. He's got tons of girls as usual. I told him I couldn't wait till the girl he wouldn't be embarrassed to bring home. He said there weren't any like that yet.

One girl he likes, he said she was "SO beautiful!!!" I was like, "You think she's hot, hey?" and he said, "No, beautiful." Apparently there's a big difference. He explained, "Britney Spears is 'hot'. Natalie Portman is 'beautiful". I guess it's the 'sexy' vs 'pretty'. I wonder if there's some woman that men think is hot and beautiful...

He also told me that a guy from soccer (the team that David and he organised together) said to him, "It's much better to have an older sister because at least they have cool boyfriends. Younger sisters just have stupid ones". Hehe, I'm the sister with the 'cool' boyfriend.

Andy also said something that really stuck with me. After I told him about the blurry plans of David and I becoming 'serious' at the end of next year, he said, "I love change. It makes me so excited!"

Sometimes I get scared when things start changing. It makes me fear that I'm drifting further and further away from my childhood. Andy made me see that if you try to cling to the past, you don't embrace all the wonderful new things. Change is not about leaving the past behind, it's about moving to new and better things. It's about living life to the fullest. The past is always within us.

No comments: