Sunday, April 30, 2006

A Lesson in a Song: Don't be Late

I was late by two minutes
But you are standing with the others
As though it is possible for us, as though
In two minutes to become strangers

I was late by just two minutes
By two minutes, as usual
Unless, explain to me, unless
Now to you, I am indifferent

Unless it's not a pity to you
This bouquet of lilacs
For you all parks
In summer blossom, believe me

Just believe me
Only believe me
Believe me

I was late, I was guilty
Forgive me, I won't do that again
But unless it's possible for us, unless
To become strangers in two minutes


I was late only a little bit
Not that, like last time, you know
I love you impossibly
But you left and don't know this.

I love these POBian lyrics. I tried to translate them as close to the original meaning as possible.

It makes me think. This guy who's singing the song was late by a little bit but it happened so often, his girlfriend couldn't wait for him anymore. Even though it's this guy's fault, I can't help but feel sorry for him. I mean, he loved her 'impossibly'. Who wouldn't want to be loved that much?

Yet he took her for granted and his actions didn't reflect his feelings. He thought his bouquets of lilacs for her showed his love for her but they didn't. It wasn't enough.

And now it was too late. She left and will never know what she meant to him.

No comments: