Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Pop

Pop

Yesterday when I saw the last 5 minutes of "Australian Idol: The Unforgettables" or whatever it was called, I felt like Matilda did when she saw dollar bills being stuck to a guy using honey (or whatever it was) and broke the TV using her brain power. Unfortunately, I didn't have that much brain power and I love the TV too much.

But seriously, it made me sick that people's stupidity was exploited like that. I felt the performers' humiliation for them, since they obviously didn't understand that they were being publicly made fun of. Reminded me of primary schools when kids who didn't know any better were made fun of and they thought people actually liked them.

I guess I should try not to feel too bad for them since the performers actually enjoyed the spotlight and being part of the show (even if they didn't understand what it really was about).

What is really disgusting though was that a show like that could actually make money. It was something that could've been written in a fiction book satirising pop culture. But it was actually real. How very sad that television has to sink down to this level.

No comments: