Saturday, September 18, 2004

Turnaround

Turnaround

I got another tutoring job and it made me think how many kids I tutored. And they are all so different, with their distinct personalities.

The guy that I tutor now, Aidan, started off as someone I thought I could really make a difference in, but then progressed to me just wanting to get through the lesson any way possible, but today something clicked and I actually thought that I quite liked him. He wasn't a lost cause after all. He was bright (which I always knew) and this brightness wasn't just his brains but his personality too. At first I thought he was some kid on drugs with a big attitude problem who was too lazy to use his brain, but today I realised that he was a very friendly person who was creative and clever, but just lived in an environment that wouldn't let him be confident enough to use his brains. He even told me that the reason he didn't want to do too well in tests was so that he wouldn't be the top student, because that was a bad label to have. And that's quite sad.

Maybe I should've been a teacher, as I wanted to be until about year 11. Hmm.... Maybe not, I should just stick to tutoring.

No comments: