Monday, September 20, 2004

Teenage Dramas

Teenage Dramas

Everyone seems to be really rapt in The OC, except me. The show just seems to be a new generation of Dawson's Creek, but in my opinion not as good. I don't know, maybe I've just outgrown angsty teenage dramas. But somehow I don't think that's the reason for me not liking it.

I think the difference between The OC and other shows (that I've watched) that it's been compared to (such as Dawson's Creek, Felicity and Party of Five) is that in The OC, I don't like the characters. It's not even just that I can't relate to them (like I could with Joey, Felicity and Claudia), but I genuinely don't like them. They bore me. Seth (played by Adam Brody) is the only one that seems to be interesting but in this show, his character is lost and downplayed by teenage guy fantasy storylines.

The girls in the show seem to be completely two dimensional and are there only as objects for the guys to drool over. There's the "girl next door" who can't even be compared to Joey (even when she did get annoying), there's the "straight-forward flirt" and the "nice blonde". Their stereotypes all add to the ingredients of the typical teenage soap-opera.

No comments: