Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Frustrated Worker Effect

I have no words to describe my frustration at being unemployed. I have learnt a program that I felt was stopping me from getting interviews but obviously that wasn't the problem. I'm in the process of fixing another thing that I feel might be hindering my employment but after that I'm out of ideas.

It's like hitting the brick wall over and over again. I check the internet daily for jobs and apply to everything I'm suited to (and some even that I'm not). And nothing. I called up two places today that had a phone number but conveniently I couldn't reach these people. I left messages but no reply. I feel so stuck. It didn't take me this long to find my previous career related job. What's the problem now?

It's reminding me of my hopeless boyfriend situation before, only this seems so much more attainable. Everyone finds jobs sooner or later. Why can't I? I changed my resume more times than I like to count, in the hope that it would fix things but different people prefer different types of resumes and there's no way of knowing who'd like what.

It's so easy to become discouraged and feel like no one needs my skills and that no one thinks I'd fit into their workplace. I have to remind myself that I can't be totally unlikeable if I have David. I can't be a completely lost cause. If I didn't have David while being unemployed, I think I would've been totally depressed. Sometimes it's an effort to act like I'm a capable and worthy individal when I'm with David so he doesn't lose respect for me.

When I was younger I used to think that if you do well at school and get into university and complete a degree, the next obvious step would be getting a suitable job. How wrong and naive I was. School and uni don't mean a thing if you can't start a career.

My job situation is totally hopeless right now. I just don't know what to do.

No comments: