Sunday, January 16, 2005

The Deeper Connection

Today I slept way too much. I'm feeling kinda blah. Probably the weather again. It's always the weather's fault.

Who wants to know what I did yesterday? It's nothing exciting but I'll tell you anyway.

My Mum insisted on having a family get-together for my brother's birthday. Since to my brother extra parties equals extra presents, he had no problem with it.

I couldn't avoid this (like I avoid all similar gatherings) because I had to keep my brother company since most guests were my uncles and aunties with little kids. My Mum invited some other family friends to make things more interesting.

I was put to my usual job at these sorts of things - entertaining the kids. I didn't really mind since most of the time they are the ones entertaining me. Later, when Elaine came with her family (who are friends with all my relatives), it was more fun for me. The only other guy who was Andy's age didn't even talk to Andy much. I was being a bit snobby to that guy because of the stories Andy told me about him when he went out with him and his friends. His Mum was all right though and I talked with her for quite a bit. I find it so much easier to talk with adults now that I'm becoming an adult myself. It's kinda odd a bit still though 'cause it's new for me to talk to someone who's at least 20 years older than me on the same (or almost the same) level.

Later another family who I've never met came. My Mum wanted to introduce me and my brother to the family's kids for ages now. The girl is a bit younger than my brother and the guy is about 1 1/2 years younger than me. Trust my luck for him to be so my type. He was kinda small which made him look young but if I was younger than him, I would so go for him. He was obviously very intelligent, had a sense of humour, sweet, deep eyes... Ok, I'll stop making myself feel worse. He was a bit on the nerdy side but that doesn't bother me.

Elaine suggested we invite them and the other guy out so we did. The girl even cancelled her other plans so she could come with us! The other guy ended up not coming so it was just the brother and sister, Elaine, me and Andy. First time I actually went out with my brother! It was an odd group to go out with but I like this kind of variety. Especially having new interesting people to talk to. Elaine became totally hyper since there were so many people she could converse with in POBian. She wouldn't shut up. But it was great 'cause I love hanging out with her (as I've said lots of times before).

It was such a different atmosphere because being born in the same place and having been brought up in similar ways really bonds people a lot faster. And unlike usually when I go out with my usual friends and want to meet new people, last night I was totally content chatting with the people I was actually with.

The guy was mainly chatting with Elaine and me since his sister was busy chatting up my brother. Unlike the guy, the sister was very social and outgoing so she quickly took what she wanted (Andy) and walked ahead of us. So the guy, Elaine and I were talking together. It was so easy to relate to the guy since he's also from POB but grew up here so we were talking about the differences of living there and here. Not something I can really chat about with my school friends.

Caught the train back home, not by myself like I usually do but with Elaine and Andy. Andy decided to go to sleep but I had to make myself stay awake so I could talk with Elaine (who did not seem even a little tired). She'll be leaving in a week which is kinda sad 'cause I love talking with her. It's not often you meet people who you have that connection that you have with really close friends. Last time I met people like that was in high school. Unfortunately there weren't any at uni.

As I've realised there's a very big difference between friends (with whom you can still hang out and have a good time) and close friends (with whom you can just share about anything) and the latter are much harder to find.

No comments: