Friday, January 21, 2005

Want For Validation

Want For Validation

I love how people hint for compliments. It makes me smile, wondering if anyone else notices.

I do it too which is why I guess I notice when other people do it.

Example:

After trying some top/jeans in a change room.

me: I think this makes me look fat
[in my head: I look good, tell me you agree]
Mum (usually): I don't even want to hear it
me: so it's all right?
[in my head: just say it looks good]
Mum: it looks great!
[in my head: thank you!]

By the way, I don't do this all the time. And if something looks bad, I don't even bother asking for an opinion.

Anyway, I noticed that guys do this A LOT. Like a small comment saying someone looks cute will follow you all the time with that guy reminding you that you think he looked cute at one point or saying how I don't like how guys gel their hair will make some guys totally stop doing it (an incident that happened at uni).

I heard/read somewhere that one of human's basic wants is to feel accepted and validated that they are a good person. When people show these hints, on one hand I know they do it because of insecurity but on the other there's something comforting about it.

No comments: