Sunday, January 09, 2005

A Little Piece

Last night was great, not counting the language barrier between Amelia and Elaine so I could only talk to one of them at a time. I tried to balance my conversations so no one felt left out but it was hard.

We went to a place which had free live music and a great crowd (i.e. not totally off the face intoxicated). Danced the night away. One guy tried to dance with all of us but Elaine would just smile and look away. Then later, when the three of us weren't in a circle anymore, but more in a line, the same guy came up to Elaine and started twirling her and dancing with her and she was totally into it. Amelia and I were looking at her, totally surprised. Then the guy tried talking to her and to our even bigger surprise, she was talking back to him! Amelia said that in these situations (where anyone can barely hear anyone) language wasn't important. About 5 minutes later, they were trying to talk through me. Maybe I should get a job as a translator.

Later, when Elaine and I were catching the train back (since she lives about 5 minutes away from me) and were talking, I started to feel nostagic again. I remember the same thing happened when she was here last year.

Every time I talk to people from POB, I just feel like they're 'my people' (if that makes sense). Maybe it's some sort of instinct. Just makes me think that if my family never moved to Australia, I would have friends like her now. I think it's that combination of deep-thinking seriousness, easy-going warm nature and humour that I love. Or maybe it's something else that I can't pin-point.

Maybe people who weren't born in the country where they mainly grew up would understand. Because I'll always call Australia my home because everything in my life is here, but there's still just a little piece that feels out of place.

No comments: