Thursday, March 03, 2005

In Search of Employment

In Search of Employment

I so want to work where I had an interview today. The guy who interviewed me was so cool. He was so easy to talk to, I felt I was talking to someone from uni. He was young and really understanding of the difficulty of breaking into the industry. He said he had 40 applicants so I really doubt I'm going to stand out.

The temp agency called to ask if I wanted to do some admin/data entry work starting next week. I said yes and the agent said she's going to send my resume to the company.

Another guy called about the job where he was offering below minimum wage to get some work experience doing ads for ebay. Since I've already done free work experience, I told him (a couple of weeks ago) I'd only do it for a higher amount (which was pretty minimal). Today he said that since he got a lot of applications, he's going to get everyone, who's interested, to do the ads, and he's going to pay the person who does the best. He must think everyone's an idiot. It's not a competition. I don't want to work for free in the hope that he might pay me close to nothing if everyone else does worse.

During the interview, the guy asked if I was doing anything afterwards and stupidly I said I was going to meet friends from uni (which I was). I thought he was just being friendly but then I realised that he might've suggested for me to see what they do and I could've increased my chance of getting employment there. I'm so annoyed at myself for not thinking of it at the time.

So after the interview, I met up with the girls from uni. We had lunch and then walked around. I wish they all lived closer so we could meet up more often. Most of them are very cool - Sally, Sophia and Katie. The other 2 are ok but not my type. None of them have career related jobs either which gives me some comfort. It really is hard and not just me.

I left a bit early 'cause I remembered that I was planning on going to the dance class tonight (after successfully convincing Andy to come with me), but when I got home, I was so tired I decided not to. Especially that I enroled in an actual course starting next week. After some deliberating, Andy enroled too (although he doesn't know if he's going to be coming yet).

It's so useful to have a brother (or any sibling for that matter). Last night, after the concert, we met up with Valerie's older sister and you could see they're really close. They do everything together, including going overseas. Siblings are like permanent friends. If I had to choose between having a brother or a sister, I'd definitely choose a brother. An older one preferably (for his cute guy friends) but I'd never swap Andy for anyone. Maybe an extra older one?

Would you rather have a brother or a sister? And older or younger?

No comments: