Thursday, March 31, 2005

Testing Times

I didn't hurry to the platform from which I was supposed to catch my connecting train and just missed one. I sat down on the nearest bench to wait for the next one. Then, I thought that since I have some time, I'll just move to the next bench (since it was closer to the exit of the station at which I had to get off).

A couple of seconds after I sat down, I felt something warm drop on my head. I put my hand to touch my hair and what do you know, a bird pooped on my head. I looked up to see a fat pigeon fly away. To make myself feel better I tried to think of those face masks that are made of mud (which is really made up of about the same stuff as what birds eat). It was all a part of nature and really nothing disgusting. This thinking helped me get through it.

The whole incident just reinstated my hatred for birds. They should be taught some manners and behave like normal people (i.e. not go to the toilet on the heads of others).

I'm glad I had more than a couple of tissues with me. I kept wiping and wiping my head and probably looked like some weirdo. Then when I got to work, I tried to wash off that spot in the bathroom. Some lady came in and gave me a look. She probably thought I was some obsessive compulsive who had to wash a patch of her hair even at work. I bet she never had to experience such gross things and therefore would not understand.

Oh why did I have to walk slowly and miss my original train. And why did I have to move to the other bench, especially that the original turned out to be closer to the carriage which stopped near the exit at my station.

Even remembering it now (after I properly washed my hair) makes me feel really grossed out. Although, I did think, "I'll have a story to write in my blog".

Today, I also got moved to my manager's spot and got a better overview of what I'm going to be responsible for. I've decided that I wouldn't mind working here for longer than my contract because it would give me a very benficial experience that would improve my chances of getting into publishing. Not only do I get to design stuff, I also get to write articles for the company's newsletter (which gets sent out to thousands of people all over Australia).

And the people aren't that bad. I talked to some guy who sits next to me and he seemed friendly enough. Although, I couldn't help but think "I'm younger than all of you but have one of the highest positions". That felt good. REALLY good.

My manager seems to be a really great one because he's open to new ideas. Like, when I suggested something, he said, "Just because we've never done it that way, doesn't mean that we can't change to it". So now he told me to use my idea from now on. How cool is that? And I loved showing him one way of doing something quicker and better. It was cool to see him excited about it because he wasted a lot of time doing it the long way.

I SOOOOO hope they will keep me after my contract because my position will be open. My main objective is to not ruin my good first impression. That's always so hard.

No comments: