Saturday, March 26, 2005

What About the Other Side of the World?

I was talking to a woman for who I did my first work experience job. I called to thank her for giving me a really good reference (which was probably the reason I got my new job). I'm sure it helped that she's a big CEO. (This was the woman who always asked me how my job search was going.)

Anyway, she suggested for me to expand my job search criteria and look outside Australia. At first, I thought there's no way I'm going to live and work overseas by myself.

But then curiosity got the better of me and I decided to see if there were any jobs worth going for outside Australia. Like ones in the entertainment industry (my dream job) since there's no point going overseas for a job that's only 'ok'. And I found LOTS of entry-level jobs in the entertainment industry. Mainly in Los Angeles studios. I really doubt they'd look at my resume since I'm sure they have plenty of local candidates but it really peaked my interest. I don't even know how they would interview me since I don't think the agency that advertised these jobs has any offices here.

All the things that stopped me from even considering something like this are all the things that only show why I should - still young, won't have anyone with me. It seems like a great adventure that I might not have an opportunity to do later.

Of course it's going to be VERY hard to live without my friends and family on the other side of the world (why does Australia have to be so far from everywhere else?) but maybe it'll give me a chance to meet new people.

I'll have to think about this some more before I consider applying for these jobs.

No comments: