Thursday, March 24, 2005

My Reward

My yesterday's entry that got deleted was about my career crisis and how I would look down on people who did the job I've been doing but now I was one of those people. I wrote what I wanted to be when I was growing up and how I happened to be on this career path. Basically, it was more of my self-pity and some reflection on judging people.

So today I was shocked that I got the job I had the interview for yesterday. Yesterday I was interviewed by an agent and if successful, was expeting to have an interview with the actual company. But somehow I skipped all that.

The agent called me today and said, "I have some good news and some bad news". I expected her to say that I didn't get the job but she found another one I could go for. After she told me I got it, I didn't know how she could have any bad news. Only maybe that the company moved to some location that would take me forever to get to. But her bad news was that I had to start on Tuesday and she was worried I wouldn't be able to leave at such short notice. She was obviously wrong. Something like a short notice would not stop me from accepting.

My manager was really nice about it and said that after I finish the contract (since it's quite short), maybe they'd have a position available for me. I wish I could take all the people I work with to my new job. I know how hard it is to find such a nice group that makes it so much easier to get up in the morning.

Fingers (and everything else) crossed, there are going to be nice people at my new job.

At least the actual job is a lot better. It's creative and involves communicating with different people and co-ordinating.

I guess, religiously applying for jobs every day paid off. One woman at work said to me, "You got it so easy!" after she found out I only had an interview with an agent. That irked me a bit because I've looked long and hard enough. Something was bound to come up.

It's weird how I got this so close to my birthday. It's like 2 years ago, when I got the bookshop job and a tutoring job on my actual birthday.

Really hope I like it. But if not, it's only for a short while. Then, back to another daunting job search.

No comments: