Sunday, March 20, 2005

That Time of the Year

That Time of the Year

Last night was April's birthday party. To my surprise, I had a great time! The party had all ingredients of a fun night - close friends, other friends I haven't seen in a while, new people to get to know, an absolutely delicious (not to mention beautiful) cake, great music (April has my taste) and dancing. This was a first party (since I can remember) when I left exactly when it finished, not early or before I had enough, and not late.

It was great to see April's relatives and family friends. I love seeing people when they're surrounded by those who knew them since they were kids and are friends with their parents.

It was also great being one of those people who knew her the longest. One of her uni friends asked me what April was like in high school and if she had any secrets. I said she was just the same (almost true) and that she had no secrets (not true) and the girl said, "Yeah, she doesn't seem like the type to have any". I should've said she used to be a drug addict who skipped school and was in trouble with the law, until she got into a car accident which caused amnesia and made her into a conservative person she is today. But I didn't think of it then.

Also talked to some guy who studied ministry. He was really nice. I was trying to ask him questions about it without seeming like I was interested in religion. Didn't want him to start trying to convert me. He didn't, though.

Talked to Valerie's sister for a quite a bit. It was just like talking to an older version of Valerie. While I was talking to her, some guy came up and just listened, without saying anything himself. Must remember to ask April about him.

Too bad all the guys that April invited were either her young family friends or ones from her church. Why don't my friends know any non-religious ones?

Ellen kept asking me about my dance classes. She said she wanted to come. I told her to bring guys 'cause there weren't enough and she said she'll ask. Why do I feel like she won't be coming?

This year, for some reason, I wasn't too depressed about my birthday. I just didn't really think about it. But now that April's is tomorrow, mine is so close. And I'm getting those horrible images of me being 40 and single, living in some tiny apartment by myself and still doing some administrative work. This has been happening every year for the last couple. Although I guess last year was worse 'cause it was the year that I wasn't a teenager anymore. From 20 to 21 isn't as much of a difference. Anyway, must not think too much of the future 'cause it just depresses me. Will try to continue living in the moment.

Yesterday my Mum told me I had 4 grey hairs and I totally freaked out and probably got another 4. Mum was telling me to stop stressing so much which stresses me even more because I don't think I stress that much anyway. Hopefully it was just a once-off thing. I wish I had my grandma's genes because she's 82 and still has most of her black hair. And everyone says I took a lot of things after her (body shape, height, eye colour, eye problems, some personality). I wonder if I'll take her getting married late too... That is, if I ever do get married.

Why do my posts always turn to depressing thoughts, even if I start with something good.

No comments: