Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Family Perspective

My alarm woke me on Sunday morning. Since my usual first thought in the morning is David, it felt quite good knowing he was in the next room. I've never woken up so early on Sundays but it was great. The whole day was still ahead.

David and I had breakfast together. A first. He said he only wanted coffee but I made him eat some cereal. He has a pretty bad diet for someone who worries about being fit and healthy.

It was hard to hide taking my medication from him because I have so many to take. I was trying to do it discreetly, facing away from him but rather than not paying attention, he actually came up to me and patted my shoulder as I was gulping them down with water. It's these little gestures that mean so much more to me than any typical romantic ones. Then, when I was putting quite a number of them into my little plastic box to take with me ('cause I need to take them at lunch time too), he smiled and said, "What are you, getting into the drug business?" so I told him I was. Gotta love him for making light of such awkward moments.

We caught the train into the city to meet his family. His step-family didn't come so I didn't get to meet them. I talked to his sister for quite a bit. She's a typical sixteen year old. I noticed his parents were holding hands the entire time. Now I know why David is so fine with PDA.

Seeing him with his family made me think of him in an entire different light. He was at his best because he was so relaxed and himself. He kept bugging his sister and then complaining she was being mean to him. They were just like Andy and I. I loved watching them act like kids. And seeing how proud his Mum was of him when she introduced him as her son to people at her work and their reaction, "Wow, that's your son?!"

I was in love with the way his family was like together. All joking and light-hearted.

Lunch was absolutely delicious. And free, which always makes it just that little bit tastier. Afterwards his family went home while we went for a walk. The weather was beautiful. Could really feel winter ending.

When we caught the train back to my house, David said he had to go soon because he needed to do some uni work. So I thought we'd just hang out for another fifteen minutes or so. As soon as we got into my house and said hello to my Mum, she quickly asked him to help with some uni thing. And she wouldn't let him go! After over half an hour, and trying to give her any hint I could about giving him back to me, I had to recruit my brother to help me. Andy told her he really needed her. So when David was free, I gave Andy the thumbs up as a thank you. But Mum saw me do that! She gave me a 'look'. But I was just happy I could have David back. He stayed for another hour or so before leaving. I had to make him go because he was always like "Just another fifteen minutes and then I'll go" and "I really don't want to leave". Well, neither do I but uni work is important too.

After he left I asked my Mum how she couldn't see my hints. And she said she saw all of them but she just wanted to talk to him. How selfish. I told her to organise her meetings with him out of our time. And I asked her not to mention the word "marriage", "children" and "pregnancy" with him. She said that when they talk, she forgets that he's my boyfriend. She sees him as just another person at her uni.

Well, that sums up my weekend.

No comments: