Sunday, August 07, 2005

My Favourite Cliches

Last night was quite interesting. It was the first time I brought David to a party with uni friends. Just to see the looks on everyone's faces when I walked in with him was priceless. Every girl came up to ask me about him. I was paranoid about telling people how we met because of such rare circumstances and in case they read this.

Also the other party we went to (for Valerie) was interesting as I didn't really know anyone other than her, April and a girl I haven't seen since high school. I was one of the few with a boyfriend. David pointed out how it was mainly girls. I guess he's not used to those sort of parties. This is what happens when you go to an all girls' high school. You end up knowing tons of girls and no guys.

April and I kept giggling at some things that had more meaning to us, which I think might've made David feel a bit left out. After an hour, we left for the uni party. That's when the 'argument' started. I felt too uncomfortable walking in holding his hand so I took my hand, just in front of the door. He got really offended. I wish I could erase that moment. I didn't want to go in without sorting it out but I realised that wasn't going to happen. His moods have such an influence on mine that I started to feel terrible too. I wish I could get rid of my insecurities about acting couply in public. I told him I just wasn't used to it and it wasn't because I didn't want to be with him. He said, "I think you're not ready for a relationship". I was too stuck for words and couldn't think of anything to say.

When we got in, I introduced him to everyone and was met by 'looks' and Lilly trying not to laugh (because that was one thing she didn't expect). David soon noted that we were in the 'couples' area because all the couples were along one side of the bar while the usual group of girls were on the other, chatting. Usually I would be with them, but this time I wasn't. David said that I didn't have to stay with him the whole time so I went to talk to the girls and he soon made friends with the other boyfriends (who usually just stand around by themselves). Katie pointed out how he and her boyfriend were getting along quite well. I love how he can hold his own at parties where he doesn't know anyone.

The party wasn't that exciting so everyone left pretty early. We went for a walk afterwards and sorted out the 'argument'. It's so good he's the type that needs to talk about his problems because he doesn't like to bottle them up and let them grow inside. Makes things easier, even though sometimes I wish he would just forget the stupid things I do and move on. Oh my God, this is starting to sound like a reverse of the typical female/male reactions.

He came over to my house afterwards (since he left his car here). We stayed up chatting. As I was sitting on the couch close to him, I felt like I could stay like that with him forever because I have never been more comfortable or happier. I said, "I feel like I'm dreaming" (because I've had plenty of similar dreams of happiness in my pre-boyfriend stage) and he said with a glint in his eye, "I can make all your dreams come true". I swear, he never runs out of cliches. But I don't care. I loved it. My favourite cliche is when he tells me that he likes all of me, the good and the bad, just the way I am. Oh and I also like the one about making him feel completed. My latest favourite non-cliche was when he told me how he really liked how I didn't swear. Such an unexpected thing for him to like. Considering that he does swear sometimes. But I like those little things that he notices about me.

I made him sleep for a few hours so he'd be ok to drive back. I offered for him to stay till the morning but he wanted to be back by then.

At the party, the birthday girl said that the first few months were always exciting. I wonder when the excitement will wear off. I feel like the more comfortable I get with him, the better it gets.

No comments: