Sunday, August 07, 2005

Preparation Time

It is always the case that after weeks of no parties, there's two to go to in one night.

One of them required dressing up which is fun once in a while, but takes longer to get ready. I started early, in case something went wrong. And of course it did. I ripped my good stockings after taking extra care putting them on. It's at the moment I wished I could turn back time to the previous few seconds when I wouldn't decide to adjust them.

Then, since I got dressed with heaps of time left, I decided to polish one of my rings that was starting to look a little on the rusty side. I thought I'd just quickly do it in my room, totally forgetting that the liquid wasn't as thick as I remembered last and tipping the bottle far enough to splash all over my wallet, desk, chair and my skirt. I tried to calm myself down because there was still 30 minutes left till David was supposed to come (and I wasn't expecting him on time since he finished work late). My Mum helped me clean my wallet and skirt. I was worried that the stain on the skirt would still be visible after it dried (in front of the heater).

While the skirt was drying, I decided to quickly have dinner but I didn't realise how hot it was and burnt my tongue. Then, when I went to find another wallet to put my money in (since the cleaned one still smelled of that liquid), I heard someone walk up to our house and ring the doorbell. I hoped that it wasn't David because it was still 20 minutes before he was supposed to arrive, but of course it was him. I quickly grabbed my skirt (which fortunately dried to its original condition) and ran to my room. I heard my Dad open the door for him and as soon as I put on my clothes, I quickly went to the lounge room where my Dad was talking to him.

I so wanted to impress him with how I looked but I was so flustered, it didn't work. For once I was dressed nicely and was expecting some comment but disappointingly didn't get one.

I got my Mum to feed him dinner while I finished getting ready. I could hear them all talking in the kitchen while I was in my room. Wished I could listen to their conversation.

Lesson learnt: don't get ready too early because there will be something else to do that has a risk of going wrong and wasting more time trying to fix it.

But the good thing is that now David won't be so shy around my family since he now knows how easy-going they are.

No comments: