Saturday, August 13, 2005

Still Young

Yesterday was the first time I had lunch with other people from work. There was some celebration and since I was helping out the department which organised it, I got invited.

As we were sitting down around the narrow tables, I saw a guy who was my age! Amazing. I think he noticed me for the same reason, since the average age at my work is at least 40. Unfortunately I didn't get to sit with him. Sat with some lady who told me she started working at the company in 1987. It's weird to think that for most of my life she she was working at that place. I don't know why but when she said that, it made me feel quite young. Another thing that made me feel young was the following conversation:

woman 1 (30 y.o.): you know Jessica Simpson?
woman 2 (about 40 y.o.): who?
woman 1: from the TV show?
woman 2: oh! Bart Simpson's sister!

If I was talking to people my age, there would be no confusion who Jessica Simpson was.

When I got back to work, I found a message from David asking me if I wanted to have lunch with him. Couldn't believe he wanted to meet up for lunch when I've only seen him on Wednesday night and was going to see him that night. I would've loved to have lunch with him but of course it had to be the day on which for once I had someone to eat with.

He came over at around seven. We were thinking of going somewhere but were both too lazy. So we just hung around in my lounge room.

He showed me how to do the complicated dance moves. Too bad he didn't know the girl's steps so had to try and figure them out ourselves so they synchronised with the guy's ones. When he was trying to teach me, he morphed into a typical dance instructor so well I had to try and not giggle at him. I could totally imagine him being any one of the dance instructors that I had when I went to dance classes. He made me practice them over and over so that I wouldn't have to think about them but do them automatically. He tried to use the piano practising analogy. Of course he was right and practice makes perfect.

I also showed him photos/videos of me when I was little. I should've known that just mentioning them would make him want to see them. But even though I wish I checked which ones were embarrassing beforehand, it actually made me quite pleased that he was interested in seeing them.

I don't know how we got on this topic but he said, "We're going overseas in two years". I was like, "So you decided this already for me?" and he said, "Wanna come?" so then we started talking where we wanted to go (which were the same places; didn't realise he actually really wanted to go to Scandinavia as much as me). It was nice to know he already included me in his future.

At one point our conversation slipped to politics but he immediately changed the subject.

It was such a lazy Friday night but having a boyfriend to spend it with made it perfect. If only I could go back in time and tell my old self not to stress and worry so much about being single because the best was yet to come.

No comments: