Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Warning: Spoilers

I just finished reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Oh.My.God. I don't remember the last time a book had almost made me cry. You know it's a good book when it can tug so strongly at your heart-strings.

It makes sense that Dumbledore had to die, but I'm so going to miss his wise and witty lines. I guess it's wishful thinking that the next book will have him talking in some way or another.

I thought it was great how J.K. Rowling broke up the sadness of his death with the humour of Fleur's unexpected goodness underneath her vanity. "What do I care how 'e looks? I am good-looking for both of us, I theenk!" I love that line.

Although I did stop liking Ginny who made fun of her brother for never being kissed. God, he was only 16. But I think I take those sort of things a little too personally.

I was a little disappointed with the 5th book but this one has certainly made up for it and restored my love for the Harry Potter series. The humour, the magic, the imagination, the suspense, the cleverness, the mystery, the goodness - some of the things that make me (and millions of others) fall in love with that fictional world.

No comments: