Sunday, January 15, 2006

The Clinginess Syndome

Symptoms
- The longer you spend with one person, the more you need them
- Feelings of anxiety at the thought of not seeing this person until another day
- Extreme feelings of content when this person is with you
- Desire to constantly have any sort of physical contact with this person
- Uneasiness and restlessness and not knowing what to do after this person leaves
- Wonder at how you used to live or can live without this person in your life
- Continuous thoughts of this person even when they're not there
- Feelings of extreme emotional co-dependence
- Fear of losing this person
- Ignorance of this person's faults

Having come back from our little weekend adventure, I honestly don't know how I'd live without David. He filled up my life in every possible way. Not only do I always have something to look forward to, I'm always doing something. We're either going for walks, dancing, watching movies, talking. I'm always entertained. Friends now fit into the gaps when we're not together and I don't depend on them to make life exciting, like I used to.

Highlights from our trip:

- stuffy caravan park (no air-conditioning)

- beautiful beach location

- couldn't fall asleep and every time I moved, the bed squeked and woke up David. Rather than getting annoyed at me, he said, "You can't sleep? Ok, let's talk". Even though that was too sweet of him, I told him to go to sleep because I knew he was tired. After a few more of these squeks, David went to the bunk beds where he slept properly. I tossed and turned until I remembered my childhood trick of getting to sleep - turn upside down on the bed. It worked. Woke up and got a little confused which way I was lying, then saw David smiling at me and didn't care about anything else.

- he insisted on buying me a piece of chocolate cake even though I knew I shouldn't have it. It tasted stale and I felt so guilty for not liking it. He had a taste and said not to eat it because that's how people get food poisoning.

- there was a little amusement park with rides and games. Being the kid that David is, he got two tokens to play that clown game where you throw the balls into the rotating plastic clown's mouth and the balls fall into different slots, each corresponding to a number of points. If you get a specific combination of numbers or a specific total score, you get a good prize. If you get a random score, you get some cheap consolation toy. I think these games are a waste of money but David pleaded for me to play. So I did. After we both got our consolation prizes, we realised that we both got the exact same score which is very unlikely. It put smile on my face for the rest of the evening, like it was proof that we were meant for each other.

- sitting on the boardwalk, our feet hanging off the ledge over the water, just being together.

- when we were returning, felt so anxious at the thought that I won't be with him like this for ages. Wish he was always around me.

- on the way back, we stopped for lunch at this beach side place that we both love. Went for a walk along the beach and I was being a little quiet 'cause I was thinking that our perfect weekend was almost over. David noticed, as he always does, and after trying to guess how I was feeling, he said, "Tell me what you're thinking. I want to know every thought, all the details". I said jokingly, "Are you trying to be a listening type of boyfriend?" and he said, "I just want to know you, all of you". I wonder if he'll ever stop saying the most perfect things.

When he dropped me off at my house and was about to leave, I started blabbering about how I was missing him already and then realised I was making a bit of a fool of myself. After I realised this, I changed my blabbering to saying how silly I was being, going on like that. He smiled at me and said, "You're beautiful".

No comments: