Monday, January 23, 2006

Perfect Timing

I'm far from spiritual but today I felt that everything in the universe was perfectly aligned to make me have the most perfect moment of vanity.

David called me to tell me he could meet me after work so I gladly went to meet him. As I was waiting for him, guess who called out my name? Come on, you know. Who else but Amy? You knew it, I know.

She hugged me like a long lost friend she cared deeply about. The same old superficiality. I played along with it but not as much as I used to.

She asked what I was doing and I told her I was waiting. She asked for who and I wouldn't say properly, on purpose.

She managed to show off about doing an internship at one of the largest international firms. I could've disappointed her and told her I was temping to show her I wasn't trying to compete with her like she always seems to think. But I couldn't do it. I told her I was working. She asked where and it took me a few moments to remember the name of the company I started temping at today.

She asked if I wanted to come to lunch with the others tomorrow to catch up. How nice of her to only invite me because she saw me accidentally. Really sweet. I told her I couldn't because I had an interview at a company I really wanted to work at. Half true. (I do have an interview, just after work, not during lunch.) She asked which company and for several seconds I couldn't remember. I wouldn't be surprised if she thought I was making everything up. She asked me if I still had the same phone number, I told her I did and didn't ask about hers. Not going to pretend to want to call her.

So while we're there talking about all her achievements, David comes with his usual grin and gives me the biggest kiss on the cheek. Her face was priceless. Her smile stretched all over her face and she lost her tongue. I know she always thought of me as someone who wouldn't get far in life and I know my life always made hers feel better. Well, not anymore. I introduced them to each other and unlike her usual constant chatter, she couldn't talk much. She even stumbled over "Nice to meet you". The devil inside of me that always wanted to show her that I'm better than she thinks I am was in heaven (or hell, if that's where he prefers to be).

We said goodbyes and left. I couldn't wipe the evil smile off my face. Does it mean I have low self-confidence to find so much pleasure in showing off my boyfriend? I reminded David about what I already told him about Amy. He was like, "That was her?!" Then he added, "I should've kissed you on the lips". Can always trust him to support my immature ways.

I could tell he missed me from the way he was acting. He said seeing me last night wasn't enough. He needs a whole day. I told him about my every second day theory and he agreed. He was like, "I wish we could go on another weekend trip. I just want to hang out without anyone else". I knew what he meant. It's soooo good when it's just the two of us, pretending to live together.

We were talking and he said, "I really want you to be successful so when you have kids, you can show off". I said, "I don't want to show off." He replied, "Yes, you do!" so I said, "You can show off for me". He said, "Of course, I'll show off about my wife!"

Rewind. Did he just refer to me as his future 'wife'?!!!! I acted cool and didn't react. Does he see us married? I know he always tells me that he wants to be with me forever but isn't that what all couples tell each other? Then he just started listing all the things he loved about me. I guess I should be a bit worried that they were all physical but hey, I'm confident in my personality qualities so I don't mind being reminded about attributes I had no say in. I'm pretty confident he likes my personality too so I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Anyway, tomorrow I have an interview at the media company and got called today about the design role (interview I stuffed up) asking me for a second interview next week. Not sure which one I want more but I'm going to try my best for each.

Christine organised a get-together tonight and I had to cancel again. Wish I could go but I was too tired after work. I bet if I organise something, she'll be busy. I hope she doesn't think I'm not going 'cause I don't want to, since that's not the case at all.

No comments: