Saturday, January 28, 2006

Temping

I have finished my one week of temp work. I've progressed from stapling and filing (my first temp job last year) to telemarketing.

My boss purposefully came into my room and pretended to file something while I was on the phone. When I hung up, she exclaimed, "Good!" Then she turned to the other two guys in the room and told them how professional I sounded and they should be the same. If only Renee heard that. Wish I could see her face. What a nervous wreck she made me making me think I couldn't talk on the phone. This boss also told the big manager how good I was and the big manager asked if I wanted a job in telemarketing. I politely declined.

I told them about my plans to be a graphic/web designer and even though the big manager said they don't have any positions available, my boss sent my portfolio to a few of her contacts and said she would do her best. If only all people in charge were like that.

In the room where I worked, there were two men - a gay 46 year old who would not shut up and distract me from my work and a late 20s friendly guy. The gay guy was unbearable. He would just not close his mouth and the most self-centred things would come out. He thought the whole world revolved around him. He believed his views were the only right ones. Then he also didn't mind telling me intimate details of his relationship with his partner (e.g. "When I first met him, I couldn't even touch him, he was just too hot! I have a picture, just look at his bod!" but that wasn't the worst so consider yourselves lucky you didn't have to listen to the other stuff).

I was so happy when he didn't come on Friday. Actually got to finish my work. I got so sick of calling up companies asking for information. Some were unnecessarily rude. When I told the guys about one of them, the gay guy said, "Don't worry, I'll send an assasin over there tomorrow". I'm not a fan of telemarketers but it's not like I was calling people's homes, I was just calling companies to find out the email addresses so that my company could send them an email invitation to one of our free seminars (with free food and cocktails) and people didn't want to give that out. If I was planning on sending spam, I wouldn't call them up and ask politely.

Anyway, I'm glad to be out of there because I was getting too bored.

No comments: