Sunday, October 31, 2004

Dancing Cures All

Dancing Cures All

Just came back from the best birthday party ever. The last few birthday parties that I've been to have mainly revolved around eating and talking only to people who were sitting next to me. This, however, made it very easy to mingle.

Ellen (the birthday girl) got a guy to teach us ballroom dancing (something that I've been dying to try for ages). I expected to be dancing with April but there were actually more guys than girls who wanted to participate. Very surprising.

I got to dance with some funny guy who's name I can't remember. I got the hang of the dancing pretty quickly and showed him how to do it so by the end we were making our own moves and giving demonstrations to other people. We had such a fun time that after a while we didn't even realise that most people have already left the dance floor.

After that dance, I talked with April. She wasn't as lucky with her partner who apparently made her stick to the steps that were taught and counted the time all through the song. I was also telling April how I wanted to dance with a guy (who reminded me of Andrew) by the end of the night.

The second dance that we were taught, the guy who I wanted to dance with already had a partner but the same guy that I danced with earlier came to dance with me again so I was happy about that. April's first dance partner was nowhere to be seen (fortunately for April). We totally ruled the dance floor again and I had the best time, while glancing at the guy I wanted to dance with.

After this dance, April and I danced together for a while because she couldn't find a guy to dance with. I kept looking over at the guy that I wanted to dance with but he wasn't paying any attention to me.

The third ballroom dance that we were taught, I saw my usual partner but I went straight for the guy I've been wanting to dance with the whole time and asked him myself. He didn't reject me so that totally boosted my confidence (which was already pretty high from having the original guy ask me to dance a second time). He turned out to be a real pilot. I didn't know they came that young. He was pretty nice so we danced for a long time.

After that, I went to talk to April who told me of her embarrassing moment that happened right after I asked the guy to dance. Being motivated by my confidence, she smiled at some other guy and he smiled back and started walking towards her. He then walked past her and asked the girl behind her to dance. So it turned out that he wasn't actually smiling at April but at the other girl. That scenario is so cliche, I can't believe it happened.

After all the dancing, I felt so high that I didn't even care about Andrew not calling as much as I did. Dancing is the best drug for anything.

No comments: