Sunday, March 19, 2006

Full Night

You know how some people don't eat breakfast because they are not hungry in the morning? Well, I was never one of those. I never felt like I was ready for the day without some food energy. However, today I couldn't even look at food in the morning. Just had some tea.

Why, you might ask, was today different to other days? This was all because I had way too much food late last night.

First I went to dinner with girls from uni. Then they all insisted on dessert, which usually I'm quite happy about, if only I wasn't so full from the huge pile of fried rice and chicken I had earlier.

After dessert, I met up with David, Ryan and Ria and went for yet another dinner. Of course, I barely had anything the second time round 'cause it was after 10pm by then.

So you can see why I'm really not that hungry.

I'm actually quite sleepy because we didn't go to sleep until about 3am.

The dinner with the girls was really nice. Too bad I couldn't stay longer and gossip more. Being with those girls always brings back memories of uni. We talk about everything. From relationships to jobs to memories of our student lives.

One girl said that after 8 years of going out with her boyfriend, one recent weekend away brought them closer. Amazing, you'd think you'd be as close as you can get in that amount of time. She said that for the first time in her life she felt completely content. She loves her job, has her boyfriend and her friends. Her life makes her completely happy.

When she said that, I thought, "That never lasts long" but then I remembered that complete happiness never lasts only in my life. I'm sure she'll have it for a long time. I was suprised that she said it was the first time she felt like that because for the 4 years I've known her, she always seemed to have everything. Maybe she only realised it now. I'm glad she's not taking it for granted.

I felt a little sad when everyone was talking about how their careers were progressing. New jobs, new promotions, more demanding work, salary rises. Made me wish I was on the same path. Didn't tell anyone about my idea to change careers. Teaching seemed so insignificant compared to creative directors, web designers, marketing coordinators. So uncool and not trendy. But the weird thing was that I still wanted to do it. Still wanted to be in a classroom working with kids.

One girl was telling us about her school reunion and how one girl hasn't had a boyfriend since high school. And she said it in a very judgemental tone, like "Can you believe that?!" I took offense. So what if she hasn't had one since then? There were a couple of girls in our group who never had one. How did they feel hearing her say that?

One thing I learnt is that having a partner does not reflect what sort of person you are. You could be the most ordinary girl/guy with no weird tendencies and an easy-going nature and still not have one. Or you could be a complete freak and have heaps. Having or not having a partner means absolutely nothing and people should never judge others based on their relationship status.

When David came to pick me up so we could drive to the city, I saw him through the window and he looked so hot! I couldn't stop thinking, "That's my boyfriend". Ryan was with him and he looked better than usual so the shower-off in me wanted everyone to see that the girl who never even had proper guy friends was getting picked up by two cool looking guys. Although, I bet no one even noticed.

We met Ria in the city. She looked just like the last time I saw her. All bright and loud. It was definitely a different atmosphere hanging out with a few extroverted South Americans, after being with all my conservative Asian friends. It satisfied the two sides of my personality. I wasn't really joining in as much because I was tired. After they ate, we went for a walk which was really needed. That was the first time we just walked around with them because before we always hung around at clubs. It was nice though.

David said, "I'm glad April is not here so we can act couply". I was embarrassed for April. I mean what am I supposed to do? If I don't bring this to his attention, April would feel really bad seeing us together but if I do tell him to act less couply in front of her, that makes her look weird.

When we got home, I didn't feel tired at all, strangely, so we stayed up. Had a really good chat. Not sure why but late chats (with anyone) are usually much better than day ones. Maybe it's because we're more tired, lose our inhibitions and open up more.

He left early because he has to do uni work. Probably won't see him for a few days, at least but I'm getting used to this now. Really looking forward to our next meeting.

No comments: