Wednesday, October 26, 2005

So Hot Right Now

There is nothing like a boyfriend to lift your self-esteem.

When I met David today, after my interview, it was probably around 30 degrees. I was wearing my 'interview clothes' which are never suited to heatwaves. All I could think of was a place with air conditioning or any shade. When David saw me, he put his arm around me and said, "Hey, you're hot" so I got embarrassed that he felt I was sweaty or stinky or something so I was like, "Sorry, but it's boiling hot" and he said, "I meant the other 'hot'". Ok then, any trace of my ugly day has evaporated.

It's such a weird thing to be thought of as 'hot'. I guess it's still the inner-single me talking. But it's such an odd phenomenon on what different people find hot. I remember ages ago, one of Nadine's attractive guy friends said he thought her very unattractive girl friend was hot. I just couldn't understand what he saw. Frankly, neither did the drunk girl. Then you get people who start to see their partners as totally hot when before they saw them as just ordinary.

Is there a universal meaning of hotness? What is hot (in this context) anyway? A person can be described as beautiful/handsome but not hot. Or a person can be hot but not pretty/cute. This can become quite a multi-layered issue that I'm sure someone could write a thesis on. (People have written about less significant topics.) Is it just a trendy word for 'sexy' or is it an adjective in a league of its own?

Well, whatever it is, I wouldn't mind being referred to as just that.

No comments: