Sunday, October 09, 2005

A POBian Party

I'm all for hanging out with as many different sorts people as I can, so yesterday I went to Alyson's 21st birthday party. I haven't seen her for a few years and wasn't sure if I really wanted to go to her party but then decided that at least I'll get to see her sister, Jen, who is great to talk to (even though she's four years younger than me).

Haven't seen David for almost a week so I thought it would be a great opportunity to be distracted from missing him like crazy.

At the party, there was a guy who quickly after the introductions started following me around. I didn't mind until he started to obviously chat me up. I just acted cool because at least I had someone to talk to and yet again I was a little amused by the fact that now that I had a boyfriend, there was a guy who seemed interested. Where were all these guys when I was single?

The more obvious it became that he was interested, the more I started to miss David. After he decided to put his arm around me, I took it as a cue to go and message David. He messaged me back saying he was missing me a lot and that he wished he was with me. I actually smiled when I read it and one other guy who was talking with us saw and quickly looked away when I looked back at him.

Then the interested guy goes to Alyson (who came by) that last time he was hitting on her friends, it didn't work and this time wasn't either. And he smiled at me! I pretended to be staring at the table. But my ignorance of him didn't discourage him because then he tried to feed me chocolate. I really don't know if he was expecting me to eat it from his hand because that was ridiculous. So I kept moving away and he thought he'd be funny (since it definitely wasn't charming) and put one piece of chocolate down my zipped up jacket. That totally flared me up because he really should learn some social skills. So after that I totally ignored him and only said anything to him when the others (who knew him) would make fun of him.

After David's message, I put my phone in my bag in the corridor because I wasn't expecting anyone to call so I was disappointed beyond words when later (after the party) I saw a missed call from David. How good would it have been if I got the call from him while I was talking to the others so that I could casually say, "Oh, it's my boyfriend" and see the annoying guy's face.

And I was upset that I missed my chance to talk to him yesterday because I so wanted to hear his voice. I don't even know what's making me miss him to this insane extent.

I saw Alyson's boyfriend and she was all over him (not that he minded) and he kept saying, "I thought you said no physical contact in front of your family" but she didn't seem to care. Even though I have a boyfriend now, it still made me a bit uncomfortable to have them kissing and touching each other right in front of us. Like what are you supposed to talk with the others about while this is going on right in front of your face? The two other girls were like, "This makes me feel even more desperate and dateless" and the annoying guy just kept smiling at me, while I wished David was with me.

Got to talk to Jen quite a bit and I imagined how happy I would be if she and my brother got married (in the future). She's just one of those very few people who are absolutely wonderful all round. Smart, funny, nice, energetic, social, pretty... and you can't even hate her because she's so likeable. Unfortunately I will have to accept that my brother is not her type.

Later in the night we were all in Jen's room and I was amazed how everyone started talking about history and really getting passionate about arguing different sides. I have never seen 17 to 21 year olds discuss politics and social policies and literature with such deep knowledge and fire. It was so different for once to be in a circle of POBians, rather than my Asian/Australian friends. I loved it. And it wasn't like these people just recently came from POB, all of them were in Ausralia from a young age but I guess you can't get rid of that inner POBian soul. It's like when David tells me he will always have the South American passionate nature inside.

If only all people would behave from their deep inner-selves, and not live on the surface (like so many people here do), the world would be so much more colourful.

No comments: