Saturday, October 29, 2005

Thursday - Surprise!

In the morning I called the girl from my temp work to say good-bye and thank her for making the job so much easier and fun. She congratulated me on finding a job but said she was really upset that I wasn't coming on Friday because she was going to get me flowers! How sweet is that! I told her I wished I could take her (and the other girl) to my new job. I'm going to really miss them. Hopefully we can stay in touch.

I spent most of the rest of my day trying to find work clothes. In the morning I thought I'd quickly drop into the nearest Westfield for an hour or so and just go to a couple of cheap stores. Of course when I got there, I couldn't resist going into almost every single store that could have something I was looking for. However, being the picky person that I am, I only got two tops, hollywood tape (something I've always wanted to try) and foot petals (pads for shoes to prevent blisters). The last thing was quite necessary because hopefully they would alleviate the phobia of the pain of wearing nice work shoes.

I don't even want to go complaining about the pain of wearing (especially walking in) hard shoes with heels every day, but I will anyway. Sure they look good, but when your feet get sore and tired, you stop caring about their visual appeal. I also can't accept wearing those sheer socks (to go with those shoes). I was whinging to my Mum about this and she just said, "You're such a child!" I really don't see how my practicality is immature.

Got home with a headache so felt sleepy at around 8:30. Didn't want to go to sleep until calling David though because it was our 5 months anniversary and I wanted to talk to him. Thursdays he gets home at around 8:30/9:00 so I was going to wait till nine to call him and go to bed. Especially that I had to wake up early on Friday to go to work. At a little before nine, David messaged me to tell me that he was going to call me at 9:30. His message reminded me of how on Wednesday he told me he was planning on surprising me by telling me he was going to call at 7 but actually coming to my house instead, and then he regretted saying it 'cause he thought now I'd expect it.

So after getting his message on Thursday, I thought that there was no way he was going to come to my house straight after uni and so late. At around 9:30pm (when I changed into my pyjamas and was ready to go to sleep 'cause my headache got worse), I got a call from him. From right outside my house!

It took me a few minutes to realise where he was calling from. Then when he said he was at my house I wouldn't believe him, until I heard someone talking outside my window. It was weird, I got embarrassed that all the neighbours would hear him. Reminded me of one of those movies where a guy makes a fool out of himself in front of lots of people to show how much he likes a girl. Even though when I watched these movies, I'd always think, "Ohh, that's so sweet", since Thursday I've been thinking how embarrassing it was. I didn't want the neighbours hearing David in front of my house saying, "It's a beautiful night, don't you think?" (Ok, so maybe it's not that bad.)

He must've felt a little disappointed when I said I had a headache and couldn't wait to go to sleep. How was I supposed to know he was already here!

He came in and we chatted for about half an hour. I felt so bad that it would take longer for him just to get here and back, then actually stay here. He said it was worth it.

When my Mum saw him, she thought something was wrong because it was so unexpected of him to come and my parents are not used to such acts of spontaneity. But neither am I. Can't say I didn't love seeing him before going to sleep.

Friday - Dream Come True

The great thing about this time of year is that it's not so hard waking up early. I was just as nervous going to my first day at work as I was going to the interview. I didn't want to disappoint them and make them regret hiring me. I was also worried that it was going to be really full on as they warned me.

So I was pleasantly surprised that it was very relaxed. First they got me to talk to the publisher who was a bit suspicious of me at first, but warmed up after I told her I shared her interest in paper dolls and was interested in publishing. She told me she'll have plenty for me to help her out with. Great, I get to have some experience in publishing too! I did a few little jobs helping out which were pretty easy. Then I helped the director with his presentation and did a very simple graphic for him which everyone was really impressed with (since they didn't realise how easy it was to make). (Sally told me earlier this week never to tell anyone how easy something was, let them appreciate you, which I thought was very good advice.)

The office manager (who I thought was around my age but turned out to be in her late 20s) took me to lunch which was great. She wasn't as interesting to chat to as the girl from my last temp job but it was good to have someone to talk with. She told me her ex was from the same country as David and asked me if he let me go out without him. How offensive, I wouldn't let a guy tell me what to do.

After lunch the director left so the rest of us (office manager, publisher and salesperson) were chatting. Even though we were all different ages, it was easy to take part in the conversation. Everyone was very friendly and had nice senses of humour.

Wish I could retell more specific anecdotes of what happened but can't take the risk of anyone there recognising me.

The highlight of my day (other than impressing everyone with my work and being told that I was going to a conference with the director and the publisher, without anyone else) was when I saw my email footer (something I never got at temp jobs) and it had my name and underneath it said, "Marketing Coordinator". Yay, I have a title!

Since I was the youngest and least experienced, I felt like I was below the other people but I guess I should at least act like I have an important role, because in reality I do.

After work, David called to tell me he was going to meet me and my friends later tonight 'cause he was going to go out with Miguel (since he was moving overseas). After I told him how much I loved my first day at work, he said he could tell I was a lot happier and it was rubbing on him and making him feel excited too.

When I got home I told Andy how excellent my day was and he teased me, "Why? Did you meet a guy? Oh wait, you have a boyfriend."

Met up with Claudia and Mike at 10:30pm and joined them in waiting for Amelia. She was supposed to call us when she got to the city. Claudia and Mike were so cute together and it was great to talk to them. After waiting for half an hour, Amelia still didn't call so Claudia rang her to see where she was. No answer. We messaged her to tell her to meet us at the club. Then we met David and went to our planned destination. It was such a couply night, like a double date. Amelia would've felt left out. The music was pretty good so we danced till early hours in the morning. Still no contact from Amelia which started to really worry us. I mean, what could've happened to prevent her from letting us know where she was.

After David and I said good-bye to Claudia and Mike, we went to his car, where he looked at me and said he loved me. Clearly. There was no mistake about it. And I was so happy I've decided I felt the same beforehand so I said, "Me too". It was perfect.

When we got to my house, he said, "Did I tell you how pretty you are tonight?" so I told him, "Yes, twice" and he said, "Oh... You're just so perfect". Of course I know that I'm not but I chose to believe that he thought I was.

Every time something so wonderful happens, I think of my old single self and get excited for my old self that this is what I'll be getting in the future (i.e. now) and that that pain of loneliness will not be forever. And the fact that I am in this future now makes me so much happier.

Today - More Good News?

I called my naturopath today to see if she has received my results for the metal toxicity test and whether I should restock on my old medication or wait for her plan of action. She told me she had the results and there was some good news. It was obvious from the results what was wrong and she just wanted to call the place (that sent them) to see how the problem can be fixed.

I don't want to start getting excited about the possibility of curing my urticaria because even if she found the cause of it, there might not be a solution. But it's hard. The thought of being in normal health again is too exciting.

No comments: