Saturday, June 11, 2005

Close Friends Warm the Soul

Today was Claudia's 21st birthday party. She's the baby of our group and the last to enter the world of adulthood. It was a close friends and family affair at her house. I had a great time chatting to my best friends.

Told Amelia about David. I was trying to find a good time but it never happened so I just said it straight out. Amelia thanked me for letting her know since Claudia still hasn't actually said out loud to her that Mike is her boyfriend and she was just happy I shared with her. She said, "I'm glad good things happen to good people". One of the things I love about Amelia is that she's so honest about everything so if she says something nice, I know she means it.

Mike asked about David's party and then kept saying what an idiot Miguel was. I was surprised he even remembered about it. It seems like ages ago. Actually, I got to talk to Mike quite a bit. He kept following me around. I think his insecurity is starting to show again. He's such a little kid. But he's a sweet guy so I didn't mind him too much.

April wasn't too social and didn't talk to anyone other than me and the other three (Amelia, Claudia, Christine). I started to notice how it could be so hard for her to get a boyfriend. I asked her if it was ok if David gave her number to one of his uni friends and she said, "Only if you can be totally certain that he's not going to be a creep. Although I guess I could change my number if he starts to stalk me". What worried me was that she wasn't even kidding. I told her that I could never be certain and I wasn't going to take any responsibility if it didn't work out so I could just not give her number if she didn't want to. Then I said that sometimes you have to take risks. She said that it was ok and she'd take a chance. But she sounded worried.

Lately, I've started to realise that almost nothing is certain in life. It's just too hard to know for sure what people are really like or what would happen if you did something. It's all a matter of probabilities.

Claudia's party started to wind down at about 6 (since it started early) so Amelia and I decided to go to the city (since we didn't feel like going home so early). April went home to study and Christine had another party to go to.

It was so great to hang out and chat with Amelia. Since I finished uni, we just don't do it often enough. We went to have dinner at some bad Taiwanese place. The food was so oily I started to feel sick. Then we walked around the City, just talking.

There were many couples, as usual, but instead of being annoyed at them for being so happy together, I actually wanted to look at them to see what they were like and if that's what David and I looked like together.

Amelia and I decided to meet up next weekend again, and she also agreed to be an extra for the film so I might see her on Wednesday as well. I'm so happy I get to see her more often now.

David said that you can only ever have one family but you can make new friends everywhere. And I really have to disagree because even though family is very important and will always be there for you, some friends can be so close to your heart, they become irreplaceable.

No comments: