Monday, June 13, 2005

The Perfect Sunday

Today was the best Sunday I've ever had in my whole entire life. Actually, it was probably the best day I've ever had. At one point, I thought I was dreaming.

I spent the whole day at David's house. His parents and sister went away for the weekend so he had the whole place to himself. Last Thursday he told me his family were coming later on Sunday so I got all prepared to impress and charm. However, when I got there, David told me they decided to come back on Monday. So much for my lengthy selection of what to wear. He was dressed in 'home' clothes - T-shirt and some trackpants, a combination I found quite irresistible on him.

Pretty much as soon as I came, he gave me one of the worst gifts I've ever received but I loved it. I thought someone must've given it to him and he didn't know what to do with it so gave it to me. He said he saw it in a 'shop' and wanted to surprise me. I couldn't stop laughing when I saw it. It was the most tackiest thing you'd find in a $2 shop. It didn't even look like it was something that was sold alone, but more of an addition to... a bouquet of flowers or something. I kept playing around with it in my hand so when we went to the kitchen, I accidentally left it next to the sink. Later when he saw it there, he said, "Don't you want your present?" Uhm... not really. I think I'm being so mean about it because there's no way I think he would buy something that horrible and it's like he gave it to me 'cause he didn't want it. Although, if he really did get it, I don't know whether to be appalled that he thought I would like it or be smitten by his attention. I think I was a little bit of both. Deep down, I love that he thought of me when he saw/got a heart on a stick.

He also showed me his photos of when he was a kid. He was adorable (but not as adorable as now). When I saw one recent photo of him, I said, "You look so good in it, I'm keeping it" as a joke but he took me seriously and said, "Yeah, sure. Take it". So I told him I was kidding and I wasn't taking his photos but then he kept insisting so now I have a photo of him, looking quite impressive.

We went to buy stuff to make lunch with and he wanted me to try some South American dessert things so we went to get those. Then, he actually cooked lunch himself which tasted great. I insisted on helping.

We talked a lot about stuff. I love how much he knows, I'm always learning new things when talking with him. He said he always learns something new after talking to me. Still not exactly sure what. And I love how he thinks and what he values.

When it started getting dark and he was cooking something else and I was leaning on the kitchen counter, keeping him company, he said, "I really feel like we're a couple today. We're spending time alone in this house, cooking, having lunch together, watching TV..."

"... going shopping... Do you like it?"

"Yeah!"

"Me too."

It almost felt like we were living together. Could not believe how something I've desperately wanted for so very long, was actually happening.

When David said, "I feel like this is a dream. This is too good. Something's going to go wrong", I realised that if this was a dream, I never wanted to wake up. I couldn't believe he thought that being together was so good. I told him it's easier to bear the bad stuff if you have something you really want. Like, look how well I'm dealing with unemployment. He said, "I'll never let you down. You'll always have me to watch out for you". That's when I was almost certain this was a dream. It could not possibly be true that I have a guy to say something as sweet as that to me. Fortunately I haven't woken up yet.

We also talked about travelling to Europe together. How wonderful that I don't have to find a travel buddy to do that with. Need to get a job asap so I can start saving up.

At around 10pm, when we were on the couch half watching the TV, the front door burst open and in came his sister. Immediately, we sat up while she gave us a 'look'. I was so not expecting his family to come tonight that I didn't even prepare myself mentally for it. All the necessary charm disappeared while I tried to pull myself together to say hello to his parents. His Mum seemed very nice. After greeting them, I decided it was time to go home.

As David was walking me down, he said, "You know, you're the first girlfriend I introduced to my parents". That was a bit of a shock. But a nice one.

When I got home, Mum gave out her never-ending advice. I think she absolutely loves talking to me about relationships.

Anyway, I wish I could spend every Sunday like today, being with David.

David: why do you like me?
me: you make me happy. Why do you like me?
David: you make me happy
me: copycat

No comments: