Thursday, June 30, 2005

Sickness Causes Job Rejection. Test: How Much You Care

I can't believe it was only supposed to be my third day at work and I'm already taking a day off. I don't know how I caught the flu 'cause it came on really strong and really fast. Couldn't sleep at all last night because my throat felt like it was on fire so it even hurt to cough. I'm pretty sure I had a fever because I could just feel my body heat up, and it was apparently quite cold. Don't remember the last time I had such a strong flu.

And of course I had to get it at the worst time. Even though I lost my voice on Monday night, during the few minutes (on Tuesday morning) when it felt a bit better, I called up one agency regarding a really suitable job position but that agent was busy so the receptionist told me she'd call me back. A few hours later, she rang me back but I completely lost my voice and couldn't even say hello. She left a message to call her back to talk about my application. I was trying to calm down by telling myself that I'm sure my voice was going to come back soon and I'd call her. However, after lunch time, I've accepted that I would just have to call her the next day because any voice I'd be able to master wouldn't create any preferable impressions (especially since the position involved some reception work).

When I got home last night, I checked my email to see if she'd written me anything and guess what? She sent me a rejection letter that afternoon. I was disappointed beyond words because I knew I was really suited to that job and would've had a chance (at least at an interview) if I'd spoken with her directly. I'm sure it was because I didn't get back to her, which definitely didn't create any positive impressions. And the receptionist who answered my call could've told her that I sounded weird (since my voice was all hoarse and I couldn't put any friendliness in it 'cause I was struggling to talk).

Must get over it. But can't help be very disappointed.

Test: How Much You Care

I met up with David after work yesterday. We organised to meet since last Friday. I told him on Tuesday night that I was feeling really sick and wouldn't be any fun (i.e. I didn't feel like meeting him that night because I just wanted curl up in bed and not talk to anyone) but he sounded so disappointed, I agreed to meet him for a bit (and I really did want to see him). None of the "I'm contagious. I don't want you to get sick" and "You'll be bored because I can't talk" worked on him. When he saw me looking quite terrible he apologised for pressuring me into meeting him because he didn't realise I was feeling so bad. He was so full of energy because he finished his exams and was so bouncy and glowing with excitement, I couldn't help but smile.

When we got up to go back, he saw one of his uni friends and decided to hang around with him.

David: I'll walk you back to the station first
me: no, don't worry, I'll be fine
me (in my head): I met you when I really wasn't up for it and you're just going to go with your friend?!
David: no, we'll walk you back

[After walking up to the intersection.]
me: it's ok, you don't have to walk me all the way back
me (in my head): if you don't walk me back all the way, I'm going to get offended that you don't care
David: no, I'm walking you back!

[At the train station.]
me: thanks, have fun!
David: we'll wait till your train comes
me: you really don't have to
me (in my head): I'm just testing you to see how much you care
David: I just want to spend time with you. I missed you.
me: I missed you too
me (in my head): you pass with flying colours.

While we were walking to the train station with his friend, David wouldn't let go of my arm (even though his friend was right there) and even though I couldn't really talk, he kept trying to involve me in the conversation which was pretty hard considering I couldn't reply. Thoughtful gestures like that are what make me so enfatuated with him.

We decided to meet tomorrow night so hopefully I'll be back to my healthy self by then.

No comments: