Sunday, May 15, 2005

David and Friends

David and Friends

I love when things just work out.

At around 5pm BG3 hadn't let me know if he was coming or not so I decided he wasn't. That relaxed me and I got ready for a quiet night out with the girls.

Then half an hour before I was leaving, I received a message from David saying he'll be coming. So I got a little excited that I was going to see him. Who cared if Claudia and Christine would gossip later. I was happy I didn't have to wait till next week to talk to him.

When I got there and was leaving the car park, I heard someone honking and someone call my name so I turned around to see a car with April in the back seat and Claudia at the front. Hang on a second, I thought, if April was in the back seat and Claudia wasn't driving, that could only mean one thing. Mike was here too! Perfect. David would not be the only guy there. And I would not have to pretend that I didn't know Mike would not be coming.

I waited inside while they parked. Didn't see David there yet. When Mike, April and Claudia came, April's eyes were already communicating a million things to me - "Where's David?", "Mike is here!", "Is David's friend coming?". After I told Claudia and Mike that we were waiting for someone else and they stood a little apart from us talking, April and I decided to talk with our tongues instead. It's hard to describe how happy I felt to have April there. That warmth that fills you up when there's someone who's thinking the exact same things as you at the same time and is excited and anxious just like you. She's my long-lost twin (who's been found years ago). Of course, I could've just been so happy because two important parts of my life were about to be combined - my best friends and a guy (the guy).

Turned out David was already there. With his friend who I was a bit shocked to see. So was April. Her heart must've dropped thousands of feet. She later told me that when she saw the two of them and didn't know which one was David, she sincerely hoped for my sake that it was the normal looking one. I told her she should've hoped the other way around so she could get the normal one. But April doesn't think selfish thoughts immediately. I don't even know how to describe the other guy. At first I judged him by his looks (which turned out to be quite accurate). He looked like he was about to bark at someone. His face expression was in a continuous grunt. The fact that he wasn't too attractive (and I'm putting this in the mildest way possible) didn't help by his messy look (like he just got out of bed or jail) and a face expression that said "I hate you all, I don't want to be here". He also turned out to be the most dumbest guy I (or April) have ever met.

When I tried to be friendly and asked him what he did, he said that he thought going to uni was stupid and working was much better. He said it in a way that he thought would make us respect him. Very wrong move. Didn't he realise that everyone there valued education? For the next two hours, he barely said a word.

I tried not to leave April out when I was talking to David but it was hard. If I talked with April, I felt that I was leaving David out and when I was talking to David, April felt left out. And since it was pretty loud, it was hard to talk to both of them at the same time.

As I was sitting next to David, our knees touched a few times and I found out what people meant when they say there's chemistry between two people. I definitely felt it from my side. It's like there's a chemical reaction just by being close. (I'm sure everyone else in the world would have felt it by my age). Never felt that when I sat close to other guys. There was always something wrong with them - too immature, not intelligent enough, not funny enough, just not enough. It reminds me how much I wanted to feel something like that with Tim because he liked me but I just couldn't.

When I decided to pay some attention to April and turned to my other side, she wasn't there anymore. Then I saw her talking to Valerie's sister who turned out to be there with her friends. What a coincidence to see someone I knew while I was not just with girls. Since April didn't need me anymore, I just kept chatting with David. Even though I always thought that we were going to run out of things to say any time soon, we never did. There was always something to talk about. And it helps that he was quite cheeky so I could joke around with him. I know that some people just don't have it in them to be cheeky and teasing so I was glad he wasn't one of them. And he can be quite serious too which is a perfect combination so I could talk to him seriously too.

When I was talking with April, she told me that she was going overseas with her parents during the winter break for 3 weeks. I started to miss her already. Three weeks without talking to her is going to be too hard. She said I might have David as a boyfriend by then which made me realise that I'd rather talk to April for 3 weeks than David. That thought surprised me but I guess it shouldn't be so surprising because I can't talk to David like I can talk to April. How amazing would it be if I could find a guy that I could share the same emotional closeness as with April. But David will do for now.

After a couple of hours, we decided to go to a cafe that Claudia wanted to go. April came in my car so we could discuss everything. She told me that Mike was quite inquistive about who the two guys were and if I was going out with David. April said that Claudia didn't ask. Mike seemed to be the interested one. I didn't mind. Although at first I thought he was too insecure, I think he gained a lot more confidence when he started going out with Claudia and now is a really cool guy to hang out with. Much better than Evan. Would love to know how much Christine would regret not coming and seeing me bring two guys since she thinks April and I are completely lost cases when it comes to guys. And she would've been right before because we were.

At the cafe, David's friend decided to start talking and when he did we all wished he didn't. He started bragging about being selected for some gifted/talented class where he was really good at "Spot the Difference" and he demonstrated his abilities by listing the difference between two similar paintings hanging on the wall. April and I were just looking at each other, not believing this guy was serious. I looked at David but he was staring at the table, looking embarrassed. Will not judge him by his choice of friends. And his friends from last week were ok.

I wished I was sitting next to him but at least I had a better view of him from across the table. Then his friend decided to talk to him in Spanish which I thought was quite rude since no one else could understand. David was also pretty quiet the majority of the time. Wanted to ask him if he was ok but didn't want to attract attention. Hoped he wasn't too bored. I saw Mike talking to him but didn't hear what they were saying. How cool would it be if they could be friends?

After that Claudia and Mike decided to go and April wanted to go too since she had to work early today. David asked if I wanted to go to the City with them but I didn't want to drive there because parking would've been impossible and I really didn't want to have his repulsive friend there with us. I wouldn't be able to talk to David properly anyway with the other guy there. I would've went just with him.

As they were walking us (April and me) back to my car, the three of us were chatting, while his friend was walking behind us. This was one of the few times when I didn't make any effort to include the left out person. I just didn't want to be near him.

Listening to April and David talk made me realise how much they had in common, and how similar April was to me. Could he even tell the difference between us? April has the same sense of humour, the same hobbies, the same tastes, plus she does Law and likes The OC which he likes too. I must be the only person who doesn't love it. The only difference is that she's religious and doesn't like to go out as much and she's a little less hyper. He could easily go out with either one of us.

A few weeks ago, before I've met any of his friends, I was telling April that if I liked his friends better, I would go for it (which is very selfish, I know) but after meeting his friends, I realised that I don't want any of his friends. I just want him. I guess if he liked one of my friends more, I shouldn't be too offended since I thought selfishly before too.

Hopefully, next time we can just meet up alone.

No comments: