Tuesday, May 24, 2005

A Day As An Assistant Director

Today at the studios, I, Cindy and the Director were discussing the script when someone came in. The Director said, "Sorry, but we're in a meeting right now". I tried hard not to smile. Such a meeting usually implies something serious and business related, but all we were doing was talking about the story of the film and about relationships (because the director was relating incidents in the film to his life). How is that a 'meeting'? I call it 'chatting'.

After the meeting, Cindy and I met her friend for lunch who was assisting the Art Department. All morning she had to locate an old motorcycle they could use for the film she volunteered for. The every day variety of the whole film-making process is just amazing. You never know what you will be doing.

After lunch, I was redrawing the storyboard while Cindy was going through different films to find references for our film. I kept getting distracted by the films but I did get some drawings done.

Tomorrow, I don't have to go in because I need to finish the storyboard. Cindy will be assisting the Producer tomorrow and calling up councils to get permission to film on location. Sounds exciting.

In the morning when I was going to the film school, I saw Fran and we had a good chat. She's doing really well. She won a writing competition and now works at a writing company that writes for the radio. We talked about how great it is to work creatively but the problem is that there's no money in it. She's also only volunteering there because the company exists on government grants.

Even though I'm not getting paid for my work on the film, at least I'll get credited as Assistant Director and that is sure to look good on my Resume.

When I was waiting for my second train, some creepy smoker tried to talk to me. I thought I was doing a good job at ignoring him, but after a bit, he sat down next to me and asked my name. I ignored him but he asked again.

me: doesn't matter
creep: well, I'm Nick
me [turning to look into the other direction]: *silence*
creep: what's your name?
me [under my breath]: does it make a difference?
creep: it makes a difference

I got up and walked away. I was scared he was going to follow me but he didn't. When the train came I saw him walk in my direction but he walked past. I was hoping he wouldn't see which station I got off. Hopefully, I'll never see him again.

Messaged David to wish him a happy birthday because he turned 23 today. I was wondering if I should have because I already wished him a happy birthday at his party. But he messaged back to say thanks, from a payphone! Andy thinks it's because he had no credit on his phone but really wanted to reply. I didn't even think of it. I thought it was because it's cheaper to message from a payphone, but I don't know. If Andy is right, I feel very special right now.

No comments: